Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fully automated imaging - how?

Russe

Hi guys,

Since my very first remote controlled imaging last night with logmein.com my mind started wandering. How would you setup a totally automated imaging rig?

You'd need (that can't be right):

An obsy with an electric roof (is that difficult to get? - how do you open that remotely)

A laptop that's constantly on (which I would probably remotely restart before actually using it...)

A polar aligned mount constantly switched on

A CCD camera or a DSLR that's always on and connected

A wifi connection

(Generally speaking - a remote controlled imaging rig)

Problems I can't get around:

The "constantly switched on" problem - otherwise you'd need a remote controlled electricity switch which then starts the comp/camera/mount. Does that exist?

I can't see this working for a DSLR - sometimes it needs to be restarted by manually flipping the on / off switch. Haven't found out how to software-controlled reboot the camera.

How can you trigger a computer to start up when electricity is switched on?

Any thoughts? Please share!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can wake up on lan the computer.

You can buy a USB controller Plug socket for other gear, obviously the computer has to be on to activate it.

Look up Flipflap for flats.

Plenty of electronic focuser out there, but id go FLI myself.

Hitech Astro make a device called Mounthub Pro which would solve your power questions.

Focusing - I use a Lakeside electronic focused.

Flats - you could mount a flat panel somewhere permanently, then slew your scope to it in order to take flats .... and that's all the calibration frames you need to acquire remotely.

To be able to use it from anywhere in the world even when I'm away or on nights would be great! I'd be much more able to use all dark nights that we have...

And the wife gets angry if I spend too much time outside.

The flipflat looks amazing and for 185£ it's quite affordable too!!

Why would you want to make it "fully automated" mate? I ask respectfully.  THis is meant to be a hobby that you enjoy and get a buzz out of - why would you want to automate it away?

I prefer it to be as automated as possible, in an ideal world i would not even have to leave the comfort of my office, which is doable if you are willing to spend enough.

Well, each to their own.  To me, part of the hobby of astronomy involves being outside under the wonderful stars.   Simplify setup?  Absolutely!  But totally automated?  That's a step too far for me.  We are all different though! :)  I hope you find the solution you need.

Being outside is great! I love it. But I usually don't have the time to stay out on those rare dark nights (work gets in the way). I'd love to have a remote controlled rig and a normal one...

But if I think about it - a Bulgarian night sky 1985 got me into astronomy - LP got me into AP - and downwards from there...

Have a look in the DIY-Observatories forum;

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/61-diy-observatories/

Lots on information on how to do things there.

Lots of ways of doing remote dome opening/control. There are lots of bits of electronics out there which can turn on/off motors via computer control; a simple relay which can turn a motor on/off only costs a few pounds.

Due to daytime commitments I cannot spend all night in the observatory so if I want to make use of the few clear nights we get I need to have imaging running automatically while I get my sleep.  In any case I don't find it very exciting watching a computer counting down as it's collecting data.  Once it's got a sub and there's something to look at it's more interesting - but I can (and do) look at the first few subs to make sure everything is working alright.  But this is best done on the big screen indoors with Ps to zoom in on the image.  I find image processing much more interesting than collecting the image data.  The other interesting part is getting everything set up to get the best image data possible.  Most of that does involve hands-on in the obsy.  I also enjoy making up the imaging rigs.

Since my very first remote controlled imaging last night with logmein.com my mind started wandering. How would you setup a totally automated imaging rig?

You'd need (that can't be right):

* Weather station to monitor for rain/snow/win etc and close the observatory roof automatically 

NigelM

Due to daytime commitments I cannot spend all night in the observatory so if I want to make use of the few clear nights we get I need to have imaging running automatically while I get my sleep. In any case I don't find it very exciting watching a computer counting down as it's collecting data. Once it's got a sub and there's something to look at it's more interesting - but I can (and do) look at the first few subs to make sure everything is working alright. But this is best done on the big screen indoors with Ps to zoom in on the image. I find image processing much more interesting than collecting the image data. The other interesting part is getting everything set up to get the best image data possible. Most of that does involve hands-on in the obsy. I also enjoy making up the imaging rigs.

Hear hear!

Archived