Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting to get the hang of it...

Dave_D

Few snaps from tonights session. They came out good considering i'm limited to 30 second subs because i currently have no autoguide and there are 2 street lights in direct view of my garden.

All stacked with DSS, processed with PixInsight (which is brilliant so i might just buy it) and between 7 and 18 subs per pic dependiong on how many i had to dump because of tracking issues.

Sword Handle in Perseus

sword_zpsad9da60d.jpg

Pleiades

pleiades_zpsce6ca636.jpg

M33 (still havent got the hang of processing this one)

M33_zpsc452b330.jpg

M31 (starting to get detail now)

M31_zpsa0497091.jpg

M15

M15_zpse9a7148b.jpg

Elephants Trunk cluster (why the hell is it called that?)

elephantstrunk1_zps53505243.jpg

really hoping i can get some sort of autoguiding soon... i'm having to throw away far too many subs. And most importantly, a better mount than this Vixen GP. Not that it's a bad mount, it's just overloaded badly for it's rated payload.

Dear Santa, please can you send an EQ8 to some deserving soul on here so they can sell me their eq6 class mount really cheap  :grin:  :evil:

Few snaps from tonights session. They came out good considering i'm limited to 30 second subs because i currently have no autoguide and there are 2 street lights in direct view of my garden.

All stacked with DSS, processed with PixInsight (which is brilliant so i might just buy it) and between 7 and 18 subs per pic dependiong on how many i had to dump because of tracking issues.

Sword Handle in Perseus

sword_zpsad9da60d.jpg

Pleiades

pleiades_zpsce6ca636.jpg

M33 (still havent got the hang of processing this one)

M33_zpsc452b330.jpg

M31 (starting to get detail now)

M31_zpsa0497091.jpg

M15

M15_zpse9a7148b.jpg

Elephants Trunk cluster (why the hell is it called that?)

elephantstrunk1_zps53505243.jpg

really hoping i can get some sort of autoguiding soon... i'm having to throw away far too many subs. And most importantly, a better mount than this Vixen GP. Not that it's a bad mount, it's just overloaded badly for it's rated payload.

Dear Santa, please can you send an EQ8 to some deserving soul on here so they can sell me their eq6 class mount really cheap  :grin:  :evil:

Looking good Dave. I'm still getting to grips with the moon   :huh:

Isn't it more strictly the elephants trunk nebula not cluster ?

The nebula has a back drop of a cluster and being a star forming area there is a cluster forming inside it, however I think you need infra red to detect that sussessfully.

So at the moment it is probably more correct to look upon it as a nebula with a cluster forming inside. The new stars do seem to be thinning out the nebula so it is getting less distinct and more transparent. One of those instances where it is a nebula that is forming a cluster. Where does one stop and the next start. Especially with the development of telescopes and what they can detect. 20-30 years back we could probably only see it as a nebula, now we can see the star cluster forming inside.

just for info, here are the number of subs for each image... did them at 2am this morning so i wasn't being particularly detailed.

All were taken from a run of 20 subs per object so you can see how many i'm losing because of bad tracking.

Sword Handle: 11 subs 1 dark

Pleiades: 12 subs 1 dark

M33: 18 subs 1 dark

M31: 16 subs 1 dark

M15:  8 subs 1 dark

Elephants Trunk: 9 subs 1 dark

these are the number of subs passed to DSS so the actual used subs will be less. Still trying to figure out how to do lights so i'm not using any at the moment.

Nice work.

They are shot through your 10" Newt presumably?

What length subs are you taking, or are they all different. For example on M33, I'd be interested for when I next give this fairly dim target a go. 

I'm still working out the impact of a coma corrector, am I right to assume that is without one, or with?

Nice work.

They are shot through your 10" Newt presumably?

What length subs are you taking, or are they all different. For example on M33, I'd be interested for when I next give this fairly dim target a go. 

I'm still working out the impact of a coma corrector, am I right to assume that is without one, or with?

Yeah taken with my 10"... all 30 second subs (see details in the post above yours). I was using a Baader MPCC coma corrector which works so brilliantly, i won't even switch the camera on without it attached.

Nice start ,keep it relaxed and stress free that's what I say time and patience ,it's always good to get used to your kit and learn how it works try and push the kit you have to it's limits ,as spending a couple a grand on kit and then have in no prior knowledge will get you more frustrated than before looking good so far

Pat

Archived