Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Settings please

todd8137

Hi all no images ,just a thought i love the moon like every one else that posts in the lunar section and we have some great imagers and the images are of great quality detail and sharpness ?

But no details on most ,and it niggles me and other i would imagine i no some times we think the details of camera s exposures,gain ,gamma ,iso ,filters ,time taken ,ect are often forgot .

People that have just started on there moon adventure and imaging ,and would love to no am sure ,it would give a good start for those just dipping there toes in the water Am sure we all take notes each night when imaging with are settings ( or is that just me ?) so we get some idea for next time

Its all good have in you equipment listed in your sig so every one can see but it gives no details of what when ect, i hope this post is not taken the wrong way. Its not ment that way ,it does not matter if you do not post any details but its worth considering others that view your great images that ,they might want to know

I aplaud all the images in the image section and love to see people advance and get better images and a small thought that putting the details of the images may just help them along the path

Pat

I suppose its easier with dso and widefield the requirements are to capture as much light as possible so with a dslr its allways going to be iso 800 or 1600 subs of 1-15mins etc easy to translate for a specified f ratio.

With the moon theres lots more variables and it keeps changing brightness too.

We no this but my point do other yes the moon does change in brightness very fast but once set it's a small tweak here and there ,i was on about in general i like to see peoples settings just to compare and some times to try. I do both dso and lunar and planets but before a started i did not have have a clue and it took weeks of trail and error which nearly put me off the idea altogether so if people did give details of there runs or of there settings for web cams ie gain on a web cam and expo weres a good start we know do others ? Thanks for both comments

Pat

I have to say on the 2 cameras i use, i tend to let them capture in auto mode, one cam is a pentax optio point and shoot, but i set it to manual focus, other cam is olympus pen ep1, i might benefit from setting speed manually, might give it a go next time

I have to say on the 2 cameras i use, i tend to let them capture in auto mode, one cam is a pentax optio point and shoot, but i set it to manual focus, other cam is olympus pen ep1, i might benefit from setting speed manually, might give it a go next time

Auto works some times but manual is the way forward ,does auto on your cam allow raw . Has I found there's a lot of data lost with JPEG and other formats other than raw

Pat

I normally list the telescope & camera (and filter I think), but I'll try to remember to include some extra details. FireCapture saves out the details for me for each capture in a text file, so that should make it easy for me to add.

Archived