Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Protection for Dob base?

A McEwan

Hi all,

I was wondering if there's anything suitable as a brush-on protectorant coating for my GSO Dob base?

It lives in the shed, so is subject to temperature changes, and of course gets damp when it gets used.

Anything recommended?

It's the standard chipboard type with thin black plasticky veneer over the surfaces.

Thanks,

Ant

Perhaps if storing in a garage or shed, consider looking out for a disgarded (usually found near skips) builders pallet. The base can be supported on this, set up as a plinth or just use the planks. This will create enough air flow which will help to eliminate moisture build up.  

As mentioned above, when I had a 12" flextube, I sealed the joins, so silicon or a suitable exterior acrylic sealant will help. For setting up observing, I always take an off-cut piece of kitchen lino to sit the base on, which is also useful if something should drop.

Thanks. I'll definitely do the joins with a bead of clear silicone sealant, and find something to stand the base on during storage. Plenty of old plastic materials to use as a ground sheet when observing too. Thanks for the tips - and feel free to keep 'em coming!

Ant

Archived