Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"Flipping" sun

ultramol

They have said this for years the suns cycle comes and goes over 11 years ,they also say we could be heading towards a minimum mauder some thing like that this would explain a lot of the natural disaster we are seeing ( usually blamed on "global warming") have you vied the sun lately plenty of sun spots

Pat

Trouble is they only have 50 years real time data on this as they could not tell before this they have sun spot data that goes way back tho

Pat

Sunspot data does go WAY back (several hundred years in fact, which is why we know about the Maunder Minimum in the first place). The last minimum was particularly deep, much deeper than the ones I witnessed in the late seventies and eighties. The last minimum had the occasional entire month without any sunspots at all. I never saw anything like that as a youngster. There is quite some stuff going on at the moment, but I have had a look at drawings I made at school with a 70mm scope (1980), and later with my 6" Newtonian (1980-1983), and they are a lot more crowded. In some of Steve Ward's, Bizibilder's and other peoples' shots on SGL during this maximum the sun has been suspiciously clear of spots for several days on end. Again, unusual. Several models suggest we may be in for a Maunder-like minimum again, but they may be wrong. If it does happen, we are set for a cooler period, most likely.

Hi Micheal I did say they have sunspot data that goes way back ?,but they have only got data via satellites soho ect for the last 50 years what I read was that the data pre 1740 onwards can not be classed as real data as back then to please the masters they said there was more this may not be true

I have been following sun spots my self along with my late father for 30 years my dad being a radio ham was always interested and had a small scope to look and of course lots of sun spots also some times ment good propagation for radio waves the crazy wea

Ther over the last 10 years I be leave is down to the sun and not the other thing

Also we all no about the 11 year cycles but they now be leave there is other cycles that are longer and would cause this but they seem to all agree that no one knows really what the sun is up to as the satellite data is only 50 years old and no one can say what it's doing or going to do

Pat

The 'about 11 years' solar cycle is actually just half of the full cycle as it takes 'about 22 years' (give or take a couple!) for the sun to return to its original polarity.  It flips around the time of solar maximum.  But just to confuse things the north and south poles don't flip at the same time, so its possible to have both the 'north' and 'south' poles to have the same polarity!! In this cycle the north pole flipped a while ago, and the last time I looked there was still some uncertainty about whether the south pole had flipped.  The northern and southern hemispheres aren't in synch with an analysis of recent cycles showing the north ahead of the south...

Helen

Yes it's 22 years and we at the peak of the solar max last year they raged about it on all the forums radio ham wise and it was a flop ,any way baryon down the hatches the snow is here and we shall as a country come to a stand still

Pat

Archived