Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher swa 70°

houston

Are these a completely new line or are they another lens system dressed in a different shirt?

I don't really know Alan but my money would be on an existing design in a new body shape. If it's nicely put together and priced though thats not necessarily a bad thing  :smiley:

There are a few candidates which could be clones optically of these. They look very different physically but look at the specs:

https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-af-series-70-degree-field-eyepieces_c56.aspx

And look at the Olivion branded 70 degree, 8 element eyepieces here:

http://www.eyepiecesetc.com/OLIVON_TELESCOPE_EYEPIECES_s/1827.htm

Another possibility here, the TS Expanse eyepieces (down the page a bit):

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/language/en/cat/c70_Okulare-----1-25--Weitwinkel.html

I'll look forward to hearing what you think of this eyepiece  :smiley:

There is very little reported anywhere on this new Skywatcher range.

Something in memory tells me that there was a  rumour you were going to do a report on some of these hand grenade size eyepieces, awaits patiently :0)

Btw I'd be interested what you make of the 8mm Houston, seems as already said very little on these eyepieces so far. I think there was one report on the 3.5mm by a member here who was impressed with it IIRC. If my cheap UWA is anything to go by sky-watcher know how to make budget stuff that performs at a good price I get the impression. 

Something in memory tells me that there was a  rumour you were going to do a report on some of these hand grenade size eyepieces, awaits patiently :0)

I've yet to see any of the eyepieces. FLO did offer but they and I have been rather busy lately !

I've also still got a box of around 20 orthos any my other half thinks I'm running an eyepiece business as it is  :rolleyes2:

First impressions, built quality excellent, much bigger than expected. See photos!

Very pleased with purchase, only niggle is how tight it was to get into the focusser.

Compared it on the moon with a tmb planetary II 9mm and it was a lot crisper on the craters, very comfortable on the eyes for an 8mm. The whole field of view was nice and crisp right to the edges.

Not sure what else to say really. Uk weather!!

This is it beside 10mm which came with scope.

Then beside 26mm panaview.

post-26532-138445771173_thumb.jpg

post-26532-138445781829_thumb.jpg

Concerning "What are they?" think we had this a while back:

Barsta 70s

The first 2 have the same construction, Barsta used to have the construction listed, and focal lengths, the second bunch being the SW 70's.

So I guess with such a match they are the same optics in different externals.

Barsta make the BST's (assume BST is the abbreviation for BarSTa)

I think the first ones on the page are sold under the Astro-Tech name in the US, as are what we refer to as BST Starguiders =Astro-Tech Paradigm.

So at some time I would half expect the 70's (first ones on the page) to appear under the BST range name here.

Equally it is odd how some eyepieces never quite catch on, the Antares W70's were fairly good but never got going.

Archived