Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Good News on the Observing front

stevetynant

At last

The guys on the weather forum are getting very excited about the potential for cold over the next few weeks - next week will see a potential significant drop in temperatures with late November and Early December looking at  - here we go  "FROSTY CLEAR NIGHTS"

Just in time for COMET season - awesome

I have to say though nothing is nailed on as yet and I've never seen such a group of hobby enthusiasts as amatuer metrologists for huge mood swings as a result of the constant model reallignments and disagreements - but starting to look like the vile evening weather we've been encountering of late may be about to disipate. 

Time to dust off the Salopettes

M33 session 9 And 10 10 2013

Just as an update. Have been learning how to process things a bit better now. Can see the difference between my earlier versions...

Actually started learning PS this holiday, working away at our holiday pics. Definitely feel more confident using it now.

With astro images, the curse is, you can make 10 versions, and every day you look you like a different one...

Heads up - BBC Weather is showing a clear night tonight with good visability from around 9 but then clouding over after midnight.

Astropanel by contrast is showing a clear night from 9pm right through to tomorrow.

If Astropanel is correct could be a great chance to see Comet Lovejoy in the early hours @ 5am -perhaps even if you have a good Eastern Horizon a chance for Ison before it disappears behind the sun - hopefully not the last chance this winter

Might be worth setting the alarm for 5am- quick half an hour with the bins then back to bed before a long day in work :0)

Heads up - BBC Weather is showing a clear night tonight with good visability from around 9 but then clouding over after midnight.

Astropanel by contrast is showing a clear night from 9pm right through to tomorrow.

If Astropanel is correct could be a great chance to see Comet Lovejoy in the early hours @ 5am -perhaps even if you have a good Eastern Horizon a chance for Ison before it disappears behind the sun - hopefully not the last chance this winter

Might be worth setting the alarm for 5am- quick half an hour with the bins then back to bed before a long day in work :0)

Shame it wasn't last night Steve, I was up very ate doing an assignment.  Tonight I'll be in bed early recovering from having.....

Was looking quite nice coming home just now though, so might go for a quick early evening fix :grin:

Helen

I'm studying form now Helen , think this could be my best chance at love joy. Finding a decent eastern horizon in this part of the world will be nigh on impossible so I've got my fingers crossed for ison in December. It'll be a battle of wills that early in the morning with a long day in work to follow.

Well actually got the scope out late last night for 40 minutes or so around midnight and found Lovejoy - Bins first - then got the scope. Just a faint glow in the sky with 10x50 bins but looked like a small glob with the 8 Inch aperture I have though I can' say I could discern any tail - conditions were far from ideal however. Not enough time to cool down and the moon was unbeleivably bright last night but success none the less.

Didn't manage the 5am start then but did get out just before 6 and from my back garden out of the glare of the street lights found the Eastern Horizon, then Spica but No Ison. The moon was far too bright unfortunately - gotta hope now it survives its date with sun and we get the spectacle everyones hoping for before Christmas - but on a positive note at least I have a new entry on my comet tick list.

Just observed comet Lovejoy, though I would not say it was 'clear'. The Moon is out, but the main problem is that it is quite misty or there's some high level cloud....as there's only a handful of stars visible near Lovejoy in my binoculars, which means the comet must be quite bright ( I estimated magnitude 4.5 to 5.0 )  to be visible whilst stars fainter than mag 6.5 barely appear. I'm sure it's not the Moon and there's quite a bit of haze about....certainly over southern England.

Burrrrrr !!

Cold and cloudy, but nice to be back in town. Fingers crossed it will be clear in the early hours.

ISON should be about 4.5 degrees east / south-east of Spica an hour before sunrise according

to my planner.   :smiley:  

According to the BBC Mike you might get another chance Friday and Saturday morning- good luck and welcome back

Looks clear to the west at the moment. had grab and go scope in the car all night, was going to head up the mountain for a view to the south-east....................... " car won't start, dead battery "    :crybaby2:

Drat, will have to catch ISON another morning. 

Nice one Mike

I went for a drive with the wife up to Mynydd Epynt just outside Brecon - lovely clear night until we got past Brecon then the clouds appeared - by the time we'd got out onto the mountain it was howling wind with sleety snow blasting accross the car - decided to turn back at that point - its not the sort of place you want to be in that weather. Back down the a470 to home and the skies cleared once again - lovely clear skies again this morning but the wind was howling - still looking good for the weekend though so fingers crossed.

Looks clear to the west at the moment. had grab and go scope in the car all night, was going to head up the mountain for a view to the south-east....................... " car won't start, dead battery "    :crybaby2:

Drat, will have to catch ISON another morning. 

I'm not completely sure about this Mike but Ison reaches perihelion in about 10 days - the time we have to observe it is possible growing shorter so take your chance while you get it. It could of course emerge from its days of destiny and become the visible in daylight comet we all hoped for - no one knows at this point from all I've read- fingers crossed.

Hi Peter,

Thanks, it's nice to be back. Overall we had a productive trip with good weather, and it was great to see some old friends, one of which had developed an interest in Astronomy; my old 114mm reflector now has a new home. I also got a chance to do some observing, and was able to bring back a couple of Astronomical goodies.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Archived