Jupiters Great Red Spot: Heads Up

John

Just a quick "heads up" for those who have scopes out that Jupiters GRS is approaching the central meridian of the planet right now and is looking rather grand  :smiley:

Quite a clear red tint to it and a nicely defined light rim to the hollow in which the GRS sits partially embedded in the planets south equatorial belt. Plenty of other detail within the SEB and NEB is visible too to the keen observer right now :smiley:

I'm using my ED120 refractor at 150x - 225x.

Thanks for the detail John as to what is currently revealed, tantalising account. Reasonable forcast here for Saturday night, therefore expect to set up the scope, C8,  applying a similar magnification range.

I use this little Sky & Telescope applet to let me know when the GRS will be on the central meridian of the planet:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304091.html?page=1&c=y

And this one to show the positions of the 4 main moons and the timing of transit events:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/jupiter

There are other tools to do the above of course but I find they have served well over the past few years.

Thanks John

I didn't make it out last night I would have loved to have seen it. How long will it be in the same position for, do you know? :smiley:

Jupiter spins about once every ten hours if I remember correctly. If you look at the Sky & Telescope website there is an app which predicts when the GRS will be visible, as well as moon and shadow transits, very useful

Stu

It was great until around 1:00 am then quite thick cloud rolled in and it was pouring with rain by 2:00 am. I'm pleased I managed to catch the GRS and a few binary stars in the clear sky time available  :smiley:

Archived