Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some more Jupiter from Nov 4th

Space Cowboy

3 early images from the 4th taken between 5.40 UT and 5.57. These are roughly processed on my netbook using just 2 alignment points and 3000 frames. I'm currently experimenting with an eyepiece wheel holding my mono & colour cams and these are the first proper images after acquiring a 2x Ultima from Neil (cheers Mr Philips). 

My main concern is slop on the wheel affecting collimation and I'm wondering if these images look soft on the right hand limb presumably caused by the cam not being square because of the slop?

All comments welcome.

Middle image is red mono :

gallery_4016_230_59938.png

gallery_4016_230_7303.png

gallery_4016_230_4938.png

Slop is always a worry for collimation, sometimes difficult to really do much about, as I know you have tried a compression ring. Though the right side is the shadow side which often appears softer to me too Doesn't look that bad to me here.There Nice images, Though at the focal length you must be at, why do they look slightly noisy, I thought the Cmoss chip was very sensitive. Was it dewy or trans low ?

Assuming its not dew or trans. ( until you say otherwise )

wavelet 1 will produce fine detail but it also exaggerates noise. My processing lately. ive gone back to drizzle 1.5 and dyadic wavelet 2 only. Sometimes ive used a bit of wave 1, but mostly not. Mostly just wave 2. It looks like wave 1 noise to me. Though I could be wrong Stuart.

What I learned from you last year, and your settings, ive re adapted to suit my 1.5 drizzles. with little or no bloat. fine detail with no or little noise. No gausian no linked wavelets just dyadic wave 2 on reg5. Then whatever noise is left I kill on analyser before doing a circular blur. I was never happy using Gaussian to smother noise that wavelet 1 and very high wavelet settings produce. I know people can get results with it of course. But it just makes more sense to me to avoid noise in the first place. rather than smother it with Gaussian sheen. I know a lot may not agree with me on this. as I suspect a lot are using these types of settings.

It can be done noiseless And with fine detail. If you use circular blur deconvolution on analyzer. it really is similar to going down in wavelets, ( meaning from say 2 to 3 or whatever )  the stronger the decon is used. Not sure if you have noticed that. the milder the decon. the finer the appearance. On good data. its something to watch out for.As obviously Bloat is something that I learned from you. smears fine detail.

I am only just starting to get that right myself again. Its like Freddie said taking time to perfect the processing. Im not sure but I think I am happy with my processing when the data is good. But I agree. its easier when that's the case true. I can see what your getting at with these. But if it is wave 1 noise. it looks a bit strong to me. Im not sure

Thanks Neil I will try those settings.

Its the actual wheel that sags slightly not the focus tube connection. I expected the images to look much worse but yes they do seem noisier than without the wheel. It was a cheap wheel only 25 quid new. Baader do one for about £70 not sure if that would be any better.  I might put this idea to bed and just keep swapping the cams by hand then I know everything is straight.

These are 1.5x drizzle downsized 85%.

Just noticed the rest of your post Neil :smiley:

Nice job Stuart. I can understand how one of these wheels may introduce some out of plain shift but have never used one myself. Like you say try the old way and see If it improves the results. Nice images regardless.

Pete.

Thanks Pete yep the better images shot from the 4th I posted earlier were without the wheel.

My idea of using a wheel was to reduce the time between each cam avi so I could produce LRGBs using the mono red but the straight 50/50 combo has worked better than I expected and those images can be taken 10 mins apart.

Seeing was very variable Neil from fair to goodish. After trying your wavelet suggestion I'm more convinced the data is not great as the result was quite soft.

Archived