Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EOS 1100D or 450D?

SnakeyJ

Other than the newer Digic4 processor in the 1100D, the specs look very similar on the cmos sensor themselves.    Is there any practical difference between the two for prime focus AP?   Is it worth spending £30-40 more to get the newer 1100D?

There are excellent images being produced from both these cameras and the quality looks notably better than that from the 300/350Ds.

Steve,

Thanks that link was very useful - I was assuming that the sensors were very similar, but it seems the CMOS in the 1100D is quite a bit more sensitive, less noisey and the additional ISO settings may give some more flexibility.    The overall package is rather lighter as well, which will help with my standard focuser.

I think these tip the balance provided I can find a sensibly priced s/h body.

1100D's are getting cheaper all the time:  http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-1100D-Body  I have one and it has been excellent but i can't compare with a 450 as i havn't seen one.

Thanks Roger - interesting to see such a large price range on these across the major retailers, though these prices do make some of the sale prices on Ebay look rather over the odds.    I hope I can squeeze one for around £ 140 ish on Ebay with some patience, admitedly no warranty, but then I will immediately void any warranty on the filter mod!

Hope you have better weather in Norfolk - Jake

Some good ones at Wex .... including some 1000D'S .... My first choice DSLR , 90,000 shots in 2 years and still going strong..

Recommended retailer  , I get all my photo gear from them.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/used-canon-dslr-cameras/b3235?showall=1

Thanks Steve - I've brought a few bits from Wex in the past & those prices look pretty realistic for an established dealer.

Much appreciated - Jake

I think the 1100D has the edge but I've not yet had a chance to compare the two for astro use - I have only used the 1100D so far and with added cooling I was pleased with the results.  Gary Honis' comparison tests show that the noise performance of the two is very similar.  You'll want to turn off the sensor cleaning in the 450D for astro use as this may upset your flats by moving dust particles around.  The 1100D doesn't have this "problem".

There is a thread describing the 1100D noise performance with setpoint cooling in a thread in the DIY Astronomer forum - quite a long way back now.

Thanks Gina - I'll look out the thread on noise performance and also your cooling thread for the 1100d.

I do appreciate that this sensor is not a good candidate for debayering - though this is probably a mod too far for me at present.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Yes, I know you've been following my attempts at debayering and particularly at removing the sensor cover glass.  In this respect these cameras are like chalk and cheese.  Quite easy on the 450D without needing heat and enormously difficult on the 1100D and needing heat which can so easily destroy the sensor.  I have another faulty 1100D which I won in the ebay auctions which I haven't had a chance to take apart yet, but I'm hoping the sensor will be OK so that I can put in in one of my other 1100Ds.  As I said elsewhere, I'm thinking of using a setpoint cooled 1100D (full spectrum) alongside a setpoint cooled mono 450D with FW, for widefield.  When I get it all finished - could be a while yet though :D

Well after 6 days trying to secure a bargain on fleabay, and being astounded with how much people will part with for a s/h camera (a new 1100D and 35-80 lens kit retails around £270, people willingly fork out £ 220-240 on the same item s/h!).     Body only they rarely seem to go for less than £ 160 + PP, unless broken, missing parts or badly abused.     I managed to pick up a recon body with all the bits from Photodirect for £ 165 incl P&P - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400506820656

They claim to be an authorised canon repair centre offering manufacturer refurbs, which probably has some license but looks like it will be clean, have all the bits and 90 day warranty.

This is a lot less than I paid for my guide cam and even a cheap colour planetary webcam!

I brought the adaptor ring (M48 for CC/FR) and a standard EOS T Ring adaptor, though yet to source a mains adaptor.   

Might give it one little blast before resorting to the full spectrum mod ;)    Unless it's really cloudy and I get bored waiting for first light :)

Excitement builds, my parcel is on the Isle of Wight with DPD!

I had a good read through Gina's 1100D filter removal thread yesterday, I hadn't fully appreciated how difficult it is to dissasemble the camera and remove the balance filter.    It's a great walkthrough on doing the job and I'm sure I will attempt this - but will need to organise some time and space to do this in a nice clean environment and think at work is probably going to be the most viable option if I can book the time out!

I was thinking of getting the Baader DSLR replacement filter - however this camera will be solely for astro use and there are much more useful filters (HA & OIII) that I would like to buy :)    I'll probably get 2" mounted filters and place these on the nosepiece of the CC, rather than EOS clip filters, as these can be re-used later with a mono CCD/FW combo.   

You will like the 1100D easy to use, Cheap Amazon batteries last as long as the supplied type, memory cards are cheap i use 8 gig size never filled one up, APT software is good if you have a laptop close by, or a remote control from Amazon / Ebay for around £12  does the same job without the software frills, Liveview will see really dim (Mag 8) stars but on a 10-1 focuser half a turn will see them appear and disappear practice will get you using them for focusing.... ISO800 is a good setting, enjoy your new toy...:))

Thanks Tinker.   Just hope the clouds will clear, though the forecast looks grim at the moment with perhaps a few short gaps passing over the w/end.    APT looks really good and is much cheaper than BYEOS, so will give this a go - though first up I'll have a go with Neb3 directly as I already have it.    The camera will be directly controlled by laptop, saving the RAW frames directly to hard drive (I hope), but do have a few SDHC cards knocking around to play with.    I currently have my own arduino/stepper focuser, driving the 10:1 Lacerta upgrade to my stock synta focuser.   I have modded the draw tube (flocked and the roller contact area has been filed flat) - pretty confident this will handle the weight of the CC & camera after previously using this with CC/FW and cooled Pt Grey FF (which had an all up weight of around 1.5kg).   

However, I might consider a focuser upgrade in the future (moonlite or steeltrack).    I was pretty set on the CR2, but recently seen some negative reports from Per who has been struggling with the CR2 on a MN190.    Would be interested in your view/experience with this mounted on the 250PDS.

My moonlight on the 250PDS was really smooth handles any weight put on it, fitting to my Reflector took less than  5 minutes , back plate on the tube 4 allen screws on the inside, and the the CR2 with 4 Allen screws on to the back plate, the only thing that differers is the back plate radius for the diameter of the tube, I don't think there designed to fit on a MN190, You may find you need a Coma Corrector, i opted for the Baader MkIII kit.....

It's arrived - good old DPD!    Everything looks nice and clean and all the accessories appear to be new and genuine cannon parts.    I've charged the battery and the camera seems to operate ok.    Though was unable to get anything from EOSinfo, regarding shutter count - it just errors with an unhandled exception when trying to connect to the camera.    Looks like this may be due to Canon blocking some of the original SDK calls in newer firmware.

Thanks for the good reports on the Moonlight CR2 - some conflicting reports, but probably worth a thread in its own right before I make this call.   For the time being I shall see how things go with the modded synta focuser and upgrade as budget allows or as/when that s/h 1/10 VX10 becomes available :)

I already have the SW F5 coma corrector and the EOS/M48 adaptor ready and waiting at home - so just waiting for the skies to clear.

Archived