Case for Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Having just spent all my budget on my first scope, I am looking for a relatively cheap way of storing and transporting it safely. Any ideas would be very welcome.

I have had a search of this site and can see Maplins cases mentioned a lot, but I am not sure if any of their range would take the Nexstar OTA and arm assembly.

Thank you for your replies.

David

I would think you would have to seperate OTA and mount, not too much trouble on the SE scopes.

Cannot thnk of a case/bag that is intended specifically for the purpose however.

Take a look at the TS site, they have a fair selection of bags and cases, one may be suitable, one may be intended for it or similar.

The alternative is to make a case yourself, assuming you are happy with wood, have the tools and space. Likely is someone that could make a case up but not heard of one, neither have I looked.

I would check the TS site first, then see if anyone can make a decent plywood case. If you ended up having one made then get it big enough to carry all essential bits plus a bit more. Also get it high enough to be able to sit on.

david130653.......... for cheapness, what about the box it came in?  My SW200P  would lay across the back seat with two small cot mattresses and two sun-lounger  covers trying to protect it, but its easier to put the OTA in its box with its purpose built styrene support blocks. I modified some tarpauline sheet to fully protect the box. Its much more resistant to knocks and shocks in its cradle.

OK this was in Aus' but the big DIY chain there, Bunnings, had a series of Pelican case clones. I bought the big one for my 6SE. I could get bothe OTA and support arm in it still fixed together. May B&Q have similar cases. These were a third to a quarter the cost of the Peli cases.

Another guy at the West Australian group had a large moulded tool box on wheels for his OTA.

A large Very Useful Box (well-made plastic box with lid) and the original packing the scope came in are probably as good as you'll ever need, unless you're planning on transporting it on a plane or something like that.  I have the 84 ltr box for my 8SE so use that as a guide - take the dimensions of the original packing and buy a box that will fit that plus a bit of extra length for a few accessories.

Thanks for all the replies and great ideas which I will be investigating.

I should have said in my original post that the while the OTA cam in it's original box, the packaging inside was missing. Instead it was wrapped in bubble wrap, in a sea of polystyrene chips (ghost pooh). I did know this would be the case as the dealer  had explained it before purchase and it enabled me to get the 6SE as opposed to the 5SE, which was what I was expecting to buy.

Regards,

David

hi david, i found a decent flight case for my OTA and drive here: http://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/aluminium-flight-cases.html

i laid out my equipment and took mesurement, then found the corresponding case. it came with a solid block of foam, so i traced out, then cut out the foam to suit. it was just under £50 inc. vat.

hope this helps. 

• 4 months later...

Archived