Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxvision 28mm 68 degree eyepiece v Meade 28mm SWA.

It has just dawned on me ( ok,where have I been for the last how many months.ha ha) the similarity in appearence between the Maxvision 28mm 68 degree 2 inch barrel eyepiece and Meade's 28mm SWA 68 degree 2 inch barrel eyepiece.The difference in prices are approx £95 for the Maxvision inc p & p.The meade is approx £216.If they are the same eyepiece, then why the price difference?

Is it just the same as we learn in life that you get what you pay for?

If on the other hand  they are from the same factory,then there has to be a quality drop off with Maxvision, is there? .Is this the case,or are they the same quality and Maxvision's version is a true bargain.

Thanks,

Martin. :embarrassed::embarassed::undecided::rolleyes2::glasses10:

From what I have read and understand about the Maxi they are the exact same ep as the Meade.

The Maxi originated from an unspecified order that went uncompleted, needless to say the design is a tad of a giveaway.

I have 4 of the Maxi ep's and have no issue with the quality of them and doubt that a Meade branded one would make it perform any better.

Don't spend time wondering about it - Just get on and fill your EP case with MV SWAs and enjoy the view!

The MV and Meade SWAs and the Explore Scientific ES68, all share the same optics (one can ponder QC differences, etc) but it does make the MVs rather a screaming bargain. There is a review on CN where the 24mm Meade SWA was generally found to be preferable to the equivalent TV Panoptic in a number of scopes with a number of viewers. Now, you can ponder resale values, etc, but if an EP that can be mentioned in the same breath as a TV can land on your doorstep for £75, who cares? :grin:

Russell

I think I may well be ordering that beast soon and as far as I read it is the same as the Mead 5000 SWA

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Meade_5000_Series_28mm_Super_Wide_Angle_Eyepiece_2__.html

sold at over 200 ! sure enough  they look like clones from the outside at least. Now if it was that price the panoptic would be what I'd wait for. I'd expect the panoptic to win in the faster scopes since it is also advertised to work down to f/4 and be that bit better off axis when push comes to shove on the outer edges, dunno about contrast and other benefits. The maxvision 28mm is advertised for f/5 as good edge sharpness, but the price tag is  not 5/4 sort of way even with the little  gain in aberration you get. 

I am convinced enough myself for that price that the maxvision 28mm at < 100 including postage is a bit of a steal at that price and is telling me, come and buy me before that stock vanishes :0)

It's just a darn shame they didn't make some shorter focal lengths as well :(

The ER is about 3/4 of the focal lentgh for this serie, and it would be a bit tight for the shorter focal lengths.

Sorry for off OP's topic.

It's just a darn shame they didn't make some shorter focal lengths as well :(

Yes but they Barlow well and if you can justify a Powermate or ES Focal Extender, then the lack of shorter FL EPs is pretty much a non-issue.

Russell

An interesting read for Panoptic v ES v Meade and by default v MV owners.

Russell

That was a rather excellent read Russell and very thorough investigation and useful to me, since a f/4.7 Dob was part of the tests also.  For one thing in most areas it just shows how well the MV eyepieces come out of that in most areas. I'd say given the attractive price tag even more so :smiley: Very balanced write up and a must read I would say for eyepiece enthusiasts in that range of eyepieces. 

Interestingly, more as a side note, but it show how early on coma can be detected when you look for it, something I found in an f/4.7 or even f/5 too, even narrow FOV eyepieces has a good 50% of it, but in most cases it is not a big deal to me in practice, but just goes to show all the same and tallies with what I see on similar targets.  Another reminder and note to self,  that if you are going to spend loads on an eyepieces and clean up the views across the view, my inclination would be clean up the coma while at it to allow the eyepieces to shine. It does make me wonder how anyone could use even wide angle eyepieces without CC at all, I think it would annoy me no end (at times anyway, depending what I am looking at). 

Perhaps worth pointing out in terms of the ES, in the review it is this  one shown in the picture

http://www.optical-systems.co.uk/explore-scientific-68deg-eyepiece-24mm-125-p-26503.html

and not

http://www.optical-systems.co.uk/maxvision-68deg-okular-24mm-p-25562.html

so I don't know how those 2 ES eyepieces compare in that regard.

I have this one http://www.optical-systems.com/explore-scientific-68deg-eyepiece-28mm-p-22940.html I find it optically very good indeed and personally much prefer the ergonomics to the Meade/Maxvisions...but then I have a big nose. Others not similarly afflicted would be very happy with the MV's I expect.

All the little things you have to consider in this hobby, but the size of my nose would be the last thing I'd have thought about :D Now that you mention it, mine is not exactly small, but doubt it would get in the way. Thinking about it, with their large diameter I can see how it could be an issue though :smiley:

I have 20mm incoming and look forward to it with high hopes, makes a change from a BST, If it is at least as good, and  expect it will be better anyway, I'll be a happy chap at that price, seeing they are only slightly more costly. It seemed like an inviting move to me.

I could have bought some day one when them that offer was already around when I went for the BST, but seeing I was just starting out and heard about the reliable service form sky's the limit I felt more comfortable with that to begin with. When that MV offer arrived I read many posts about processing and delivery issues, so I was slightly put off. I should say however that the MV was processed and dispatched next day from Germany, is already in the UPS tracking system, so no concerns.  Not FLO or sky's the limit speeds, but perfectly fine, well,  I've not got it yet, but I don't foresee a problem  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps worth pointing out in terms of the ES, in the review it is this  one shown in the picture

http://www.optical-systems.co.uk/explore-scientific-68deg-eyepiece-24mm-125-p-26503.html

and not

http://www.optical-systems.co.uk/maxvision-68deg-okular-24mm-p-25562.html

so I don't know how those 2 ES eyepieces compare in that regard.

The second one (the MV) is the meade 5000, the upper the ES 68.

I have the 24mm MV 68deg, liked it so much that I have odered the 18mm (probably rather gulably influenced by the "no more at this price, when they are gone, they are gone" statements). Build quality seems great. Image quality, my untrained eye, suburb.

Paul

I have two MV 24mm 68° EPs (for future use in binoculars or binoviewers) and they are superb. Whatever you think of their QC this sample of two appears to be identical.

You might need to this pair to diet before using them in binoviewer :smiley:

Archived