Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My second 'scope

Starflyer

Well here's a couple of pics of my currently mountless new 'scope.

It's a 10" f/6.3, the tube is rolled aluminium with two internal baffles, it's fitted with a 2" Crayford type focuser and a TS right-angle erect image 8x50 finder. The optics are by David Hinds (circa 1993) and the tube was made to order by Orion Optics a couple of years ago.

2943_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2944_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It's destined to go on an EQ6 Pro, but for the moment I'm building a Dob mount so I can get some use out of it while I'm saving the pennies. Anyone have an EQ6 Pro they want to lend me for a month or two :rolleyes:

Ian

Hi Ian

Very nice bit of kit. You'll have some fun with that. Betcha can't wait to see Mars and Saturn through that beastie and the magnification that you'll be able to manage on the moon will be awesome.

Hope you get your dob mount built soon.

Martin

Thanks Martin and Sam,

It's lovely, I keep going and looking at it, it's so shiny :rolleyes:

The plans are drawn up and I have all the hardware type bits. I went to a local timber merchants today with the aim of getting them to cut all the pieces from a sheet of marine ply - they were shut :D anyone would think it's the holiday season or something :lol:

Hopefully I'll have the mount finished and varnished in two or three weekends, I can't wait.

Cheers,

Ian

Nice one Ian. Welcome to the canon clan :lol:. I like the focal length on that sucker.. gonna be a real planet killer as well as DSO's. I'm afraid I can't asist with the EQ6 request. I haven't stopped hugging my Synscan since I got it (as there's nothing else I can do with it at the mo :rolleyes:). Clouds sort of cleared today but gone down with flu :sad2:

Matt

Hi Gary,

I had already booked the Thursday and Friday off work, but just before we finished for Christmas something came up that means I may have to go away on business starting that weekend :lol:

I won't know for sure until the middle of Jan, but if I'm at Kielder my baby cannon will be there too :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

A magnificent beast you have there - bet you can't wait to see the difference between it and your old scope.

Have fun and hope to see you soon

David

Hi David,

I'm certainly looking forward to first light, the Dob mount's coming along now so another week or two - I'm still excited :rolleyes:

Are you going along to Kielder?

See you soon,

Ian

Hi Ron and Martyn,

I certainly hope that the views through it are as good as the views of it! I'll post some pics of the mount build and hopefully the finished article over the next couple of weeks so keep an eye on the DIY board.

Cheers,

Ian

Archived