NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Start of Something Big

Sam

Here's my gear. It's an Orion 8" Newtonian on a HEQ5 mount. There's also a 12v power supply.

In the Maplins Case:

25mm plossl

10mm plossl

6mm Super Plossl

2 X Barlow

SPC 900NC SC1 Webcam

Red Torch

LP Filter

Plenty of space for more

Laptop with Stellarium

2939_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2940_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2941_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2942_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

cheers

Sam

There's a big heavy mirror in the bottom half and very little at the top (small mirror, focuser finder and eyepiece). It would have to be quite a hefty eyepiece to over balance that. Looks about right to me. That's quite a long tube, actually... f/6?

Looks like a recipe for astro fun, that does.

Clear skies

Andrew

TJ, remeber that the mirror is down the bottom... 8" mirror - maybe an inch an a half thick does weigh quite a bit.

I've had a 8" newt just like that and it looks about right to me, might need a minor alteration if big EP's or camera put on...

Nice set up Sam, takes me back - I'm not sure if I miss my newt or not.

Ant

Thanks guys, I like it. It seems quite good for a first scope, better than I ever expected.

is the OTA properly balanced like that? I dunno whats inside those tubes, but my gut says the eyepiece end would be heavier??

TJ, Yes it's balanced, well...as good as I can get it. It does look a bit odd but the mirror on that thing is quite heavy - it's a very thick piece of glass and takes a while to cool down.

That's quite a long tube, actually... f/6?

Andrew, Yes it's F/6 and is certainly a recipe for astrofun!

cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

Really nice collection of kit there, a great 'scope and a great mount :rolleyes:

Seeing your pics has made me realise that I need a garden bench to plonk my stuff down on. At the moment what doesn't fit on my small camping table gets put on the damp grass :lol:

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian,

The bench is very handy - came with the house. The only problem is the dog likes to lean against one of the HEQ5 legs and I'm sure it puts it out of alignment - or is that just my weak excuse for poor alignment in the first place.

Sam

Lovely scope Sam.

I used to use a similar bench in the garden of an old house I rented - until one night while looking straight upwards I walked straight into it. Both shins had lumps like golfballs on :D The girlfriend thought it was hilarious.

Phil.

Lovely scope Sam.

I used to use a similar bench in the garden of an old house I rented - until one night while looking straight upwards I walked straight into it. Both shins had lumps like golfballs on :D The girlfriend thought it was hilarious.

Phil.

ouch! I bet you didn't do that twice.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived