NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Honeymoon

Scooot

My daughter is currently on her honeymoon in Bora Bora. Although not remotely interested in astronomy she's whatsapped me to tell me how amazing the skies are. There Is very bright star overhead that they think is a planet.

I've altered my settings on sky safari and after making two mistakes I reckon its Saturn . It was about 19.00 their time.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Of course it depends on what they mean by "overhead" exactly, but my guess is they are looking at Canopus, the second brightest star in the night sky.

Thanks for your input

Their description was a very bright star. I looked up the coordinates and they were roughly 16.50° south 151.00.... w and the night sky showed Saturn fairly high.

I must have stuffed up with my coordinates setting up sky safari. Saturn was overhead according to that, but I'd made a couple of c...ups before that so not convinced I'd got it right in the end. Think she's going to download the free version of sky safari so I should find out. Bit embarrassing though, dad should know these things!

Hi Stu,

Interesting puzzle!!!

Using Luminos, set hopefully in the right area , French Polynesia , using their time 18:45 and date 28/10/2013.....

I got the following possible bright objects......

Vega low down near horizon

Cygnus high up

Arcturus and Capella.

No plants other than Uranus available. Saturn and Jupiter are at that time below the horizon.

If anybody has other suggestions or observations I would be happy to hear them.

Cheers

Adrian

PS Stu, I thought you were too young to have children of a marriageable age............

Hi,

Luminos suggest that given the place, their time zone and date 28 October 2013 time to allow for communications across the globe.

Venus was below the horizon and would raise 17 hours later.........

Interesting that we appear to be getting different results from different apps.

I have Safari Pro 3 as well, I will try that.........

Cheers

Adrian

Hi,

Luminos suggest that given the place, their time zone and date 28 October 2013 time to allow for communications across the globe.

Venus was below the horizon and would raise 17 hours later.........

Interesting that we appear to be getting different results from different apps.

I have Safari Pro 3 as well, I will try that.........

Cheers

Adrian

I think you have to set the time as ours, so 0500ish, unless you reset the time on the whole device.

Hi Stu,

It's very confusing.......

Safari Pro 3 has Venus in a good viewing position at 18:26 on 28/10/2013.

Saturn is just above the horizon at the time and by 18:35 is just sinking below the horizon.

I must review Luminos' findings.

Will keep you posted.

Are you still working down the road from me?

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Richard,

I have set the time on Luminos to 19:01 28/10/2013 and French Polynesia as before, now it is showing the Sun high in the sky with

Mercury and Jupiter. Strange. I will try different times but the time should be the location time, otherwise the app is deficient.

If someone could pay for a trip there, I could get a proper reading of the situation.

I have not tried out Safari Pro 3 and Luminos together. Maybe doing a comparison test would be useful.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Richard,

I have set the time on Luminos to 19:01 28/10/2013 and French Polynesia as before, now it is showing the Sun high in the sky with

Mercury and Jupiter. Strange. I will try different times but the time should be the location time, otherwise the app is deficient.

If someone could pay for a trip there, I could get a proper reading of the situation.

I have not tried out Safari Pro 3 and Luminos together. Maybe doing a comparison test would be useful.

Cheers

Adrian

I think you need to set the time to 0500GMT, then you'll see what French Polynesia looks like at 0500GMT which is 1900 French Polynesia time. Thats the mistake I made at first, have a look at my Sky Safari images in the previous posts.

If you change your location in the app (Sky Safari or Stellarium) and then search for Saturn tonight at 10pm - you should see it near to the sun in the Bora Bora sky. You may be confused that the sky is dark (in the app) which can't be true cos the sun will be up over there. If you switch on "Atmosphere" in Stellarium then you get the daytime view - dunno how you do that in Sky Safari though.

In Stellarium you can change location just by bringing up the "Location Window" and click on the map approximately just off the north east coast of Australia - it puts you pretty near Bora Bora. If you search Stellarium for Saturn right now - it's close to the sun in our daytime sky (remember to set back to your default location first). :)

The pics are terrific - that's a breakfast I wouldn't mind having right now lol :)

All very confusing indeed. In my aborted post earlier on I had Sirius at the Zenith so thought I had cracked it but then realise the sun was just rising so it couldn't be right.

Adrian, I'm in Bracknell now, I think I was in Hemel when we met?

Stu

Archived