Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Low magnification options

Stargazer_00

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairly recently I have become a 14" dob user, although I take mine to dark locations, so no light pollution issues. The 27mm Panoptic would make for an excellent option, particularly if there is any light pollution. I used a 35mm Panoptic, which was great at dark locations. However I was also aware that perhaps due to the large exit pupil, with an F4,5 scope (and that I do not use a paracorr to reduce it to around 6mm) it was leaking some light, even under near pristine skies.

I considered the 31mm nagler some time back, but the same issue will occur (at F4.5 and faster)  in that the large exit pupil will not capitalise on the full light grasp potential of the scope. In my case I sold the 27mm and 35mmm panoptic's for a 26mm nagler (so far unused). so this too would be another feasible option.

I am also interested in the 26mm Nagler's performance Iain...thanks

If you want a clue to Nagler 26mm performance, scour the net to try and find some negative feedback on them. I can't recall ever reading any !

I realise you chaps are using fast newts but if the Nagler 26mm can't cut it then it's difficult to see what would   :smiley:

Ahh yeah, Pentax XWs can go quite large... I see FLO has a 20mm as their max but I'm sure I saw a 30mm in this range.  Is there anything between 20-30mm?  I'd be quite interested in a 25mm XW if one exists!

They did a 28mm XL in the 1.25" size but that had a 55 degree FoV.  Nothing between the 20mm and the 30mm in the XW series though.

I did a review of the 30mm Pentax XW, the 28mm Skywatcher Nirvana (an often overlooked eyepiece !) and the 31mm Nagler a few years back:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/53645-3-big-eyepieces/

I did a review of the 30mm Pentax XW, the 28mm Skywatcher Nirvana (an often overlooked eyepiece !) and the 31mm Nagler a few years back:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/53645-3-big-eyepieces/

Overlooked indeed! A couple of years ago I made the progression from a 35 Panoptic to the 28 UWAN (identical to the Nirvana), and from there to the 26 Nagler. To this day I still believe replacing the UWAN with the Nagler wasn't one of my better decisions. Quirky ergonomics aside, the big UWAN is an optically excellent eyepiece, and one that can definitely hold it's own amidst all the aforementioned.

after a bit of thinking and playing arround with different focal length EPs,my mind is set on this option.i will wait until the new scope arrives and will test specifically the 20mm ES to see its performance in the scope and also see how it roughly compares to ethos( i understand there is a difference in focal length).I perfectly understand that at some stage i will need to invest in paracorr and thats perfectly fine.But my main point of doing this is to see if Ethos is performing better in F4.5 scope as the ES.I have been told that i should expect ES to be a little bit softer on the edges as TV,but i want to see it with my own eyes and decide if this EP is a keeper or not.If by any chance the ES doesnt apeal to me,then i will flog the 20mm ES and go for TV 21mm ethos and later maybe also the 9mm to be changed over for 8mm Ethos.At the end of a day you only cry once when you buy TV! :) Either way either its gonna be ES or TV i really doubt that i will need any more EP above the 20mm as the share FOV is so big that the only Ep who could cut the dough will have to be arround 30mm with 82deg FOV.Not really worth the hassle and extra investment,i would be better off buying a paracorr for that money.however,i do intend to get a nice set of orthos again.I am regretting selling them,but what had to be done was done.i did enjoy the views of 82 degrees a lot so for me stepping down to a lesser FOV might be damaging to the system and i might not enjoy that as much as i did with 82 degs.

thats my 5 pence

i was thinking of the 31mm nagler but on 14" dob the exit pupil will be very close to 7mm (6,8)  what might cause problems.Correct me if i am wrong here.

Divide 31mm by the Focal ratio this will give you the exit pupil, mine is f10 thus 3.1mm exit pupil :grin:

Archived