Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Digital SLR Astrophotograhy book

Having finished making every photon count, which I really enjoyed, I had a look for other books on the subject. I've found Digital SLR Astrophotograhy by Michael A Covington and have read the kindle sample which we well written.

My only concern is that it was published in 2007 and I worry that a lot has changed in those 6 years. Is this book still relevant and worth the £18.68?

Having finished making every photon count, which I really enjoyed, I had a look for other books on the subject. I've found Digital SLR Astrophotograhy by Michael A Covington and have read the kindle sample which we well written.

My only concern is that it was published in 2007 and I worry that a lot has changed in those 6 years. Is this book still relevant and worth the £18.68?

There is abook called "Lessons from the Masters" currently about £37.00 from amazon, it is supposed to be up to date .

A.G

The Covington one is good, an interesting read where you can skip bits you might know, and read (and re-read) other bits; it depends on how much you already know. You could ask your local library to get you it on a special loan from another library if you wanted to look at it first, else do you have any astronomy friends who could lend you a copy?

It would be in SGL members interest to have a lending service, where they post copies of their books to other users for them to have a look at / read, then the user sends it back and the borrower pays for postage on both journeys. It might not be in the authors / publishers best interests though.

James

I have downloaded the Kindle sample of Lessons from the masters, but it will have to be rather good as £38 is rather spendy for a book!

The lending idea would be good but I suspect the market isn't huge for these books and such a library would hurt the market.  Also a lot of these books seem to be ones you will want to refer back to in future rather than just read through the once.

The lending idea could be both to read once, and also give you an idea if it's a book you want to buy and own yourself. It depends if you want to spend £4 to borrow a copy.

I love books, so have a low threshold for finding a cheaper second hand copy of any book i like the look of.

James

• 2 months later...

There is abook called "Lessons from the Masters" currently about £37.00 from amazon, it is supposed to be up to date .

A.G

i have been bought this book for christmas. i have not read much of it, so i can not say too much about it. but a quick skim through and what i have read so far, it seems a good source of info. it has lots of well respected contributors and covers a lot of types of astrophotography, from widefield, planetary, dso's and solar. 

judging on the first few chapters, i will probably have to read it a few times to understand some the subjects that are discussed.

Archived