Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar 127SLT companion

I wonder if a side effect of this will be a more stable SLT ? Adding weight and changing the position of the accessory tray helps to greatly reduce scope shake through the tripod, will this make things more stable through the dovetail at high magnifications ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if a side effect of this will be a more stable SLT ? Adding weight and changing the position of the accessory tray helps to greatly reduce scope shake through the tripod, will this make things more stable through the dovetail at high magnifications ?

I have thought adding some weight to the accessory tray and/or hanging some weight from the tripod head might still be a useful thing to do.

James

Look's good hobsey. In my impatience I went with the little travel scope, wanted it for the weekend. Being on Amazon prime I expected it to arrive yesterday (And it didn't). On a plus though they extended my prime account (Would have preferred my little scope though)

I done a lot of searching for mounting options. This may help you, bought one of these on ebay for £15.

I'm sure the guy can get more: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400593527486?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It has like a DSLR type screw.

LOL, I bought a motorized focus of this bloke the other day. He makes these things himself but the quality is only ok to the point where I will be modifying the whole thing.

I would be interest to see if this mount works as I can see one major problem with it. You will have to attach it to the centre of the OTA where you will find the dove tale and mount in the way.

I'm hoping that this is the case. 

But until the I get the tube rings and it eventually stops raining to try it out, I will never know.

What luck, all the stuff arrived today :) 

Quickly putting it together I found that the only mounting position (Or best) is at the rear of the tube, here's some pic's (Hopefully they work):

0C74CBE3-CC0D-4A12-AC32-CCD4142D8031-185

7135EBFB-75CB-44D6-A0A1-94E669BDBCB2-185

06EF8220-E19A-4B61-AB9F-3BAD074EA269-185

Forget that mounted DSLR, that's never gonna work, too much weight at the rear of the wee tube making her do a wheelie lol. What you said is right regarding the mounting, I don't know where you could mount another ring to fit the likes of the ST80. I'll probably have to fabricate something to support the front of the travel scope tube if I wanted to take pictures through it. There's always a way, but nothing's straight forward it seems :) Cant even try it out tonight, heading out to get terribly drunk, but grey skies anyway :(

I also came to the conclusion today that I really don't have a clue what I'm doing lol, but I'll give it a go anyway.

I think I would suggest having two tube rings on the Mak, one at either end, with a piece of dovetail or length of aluminium bar bolted across the top of them.  The bar could then be drilled to fit the rings or other mounting for the second scope, allowing it to be placed above the centre of gravity rather than hanging off the back.  I'd guess that would give a great deal more stability.

James

I think I would suggest having two tube rings on the Mak, one at either end, with a piece of dovetail or length of aluminium bar bolted across the top of them.  

You're right there regarding 2 rings, even with that travel scope which feels about the weight of a can of coke :) it's a little flimsy when mounted, sticking the DSLR on the back of it makes it's Bottom dip. With the ST80 I can assume that you're gonna need a better solution with it being heavier again. A ring on the front end as you say also with a flat aluminium bar keeping the weight to a minimum would definitely work with a bit of modding. On a plus those rings are cheap on ebay, with combined postage it could work out better. 

Or...... duck tape  :grin:

Good effort, you never know until you try.

This is why I started this thread below a few days ago.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197672-127-mak-tube-rings/

I still haven't ordered any yet as even though people say go for ring with internal diameter of 140mm and then shim it out, the overall diameter of the OTA is about 145mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Check it out men, fitted the extra tube ring, cut a length of chequered aluminium plate, drilled some holes, sprayed it all black including the rings. Just need to test it out. Does feel very solid though. Defo an option for you hobsey if your not already sorted.

Regards

DSC_0129_zps79759f9f.jpg

DSC_0128_zpsca2c5a4a.jpg

I'm  not 100% sure the aluminium plate will be sufficiently rigid, but it's certainly worth a go and I'll be interested to hear how it works out.  If it isn't then it may be worth checking out the classifieds every now and then to see if a suitable length of dovetail comes up second hand.  That would surely do the job.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hobsey, I just read this thread with great interest, having a 127SLT myself, and I've been considering doing exactly this to the scope.  Glad to hear that the motors still work with the extra weight.  

Unfortunately, for whatever the reason, the pictures you linked to in your post are gone!  Is there any way you can repost them?  I'd love to see what you ended up doing.  

Thanks.  

Completely forgot about this thread.

Sorry about the photos, had a bit of a photobucket clear out and forgot it would wipe them from here.

Here you go,

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7319.jpg

I couldn't tell you how well they worked together as plans changed and purchased other gear.

Archived