Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar 127SLT companion

I'm looking for another scope to sit along side of my 127SLT when I'm out for DSO.

Now, I know the mak is good for planetry but not so good for DSO so I'm looking for a quicker scope for such purpose.

The reason I like the mak is because if it size and portability and living in a 1 bedroom flat it doesn't take up too much room.

I know aperture is the key and people are going to say 150/200 skywatcher dobs but I had the 150 for 3 weeks and had to get rid of it because of its size, so those are out of the window.

I am thinking of the 130 heritage for the sheer portability, is there much difference between the mak and the heritage to warrant buying it or is there some other options?

A larger aperture would be great but has to be portable as the heritage, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The focal length of the 130P is much, much less than the 127 Mak.  650mm vs. 1500mm IIRC.  That means the field of view with the same eyepiece will be well over twice that of the Mak.

The question is, I guess, how often will that be a benefit?  I'm not sure there's an easy answer to that.  Very large targets will fit in the field of view more easily, but how many are you likely to go looking for with that scope?  Targets that already fit in the field of view will appear brighter than with the Mak, but they'll be smaller too (with the same eyepiece).  Whether that works for you is very much a matter of personal taste I think.

I might be half tempted if the mount will take it to consider getting an ST80 (or even an ST102, but I think that would be way over the top) and mount that alongside or on top of the Mak.  The views wouldn't be as good as with a Heritage 130, but it would have a nice wide field and potentially could act as a lovely wide field "finder" for the Mak.

The Heritage 130 is a very popular and well-regarded scope for the money however.  It would be well worth seeing if you can try one out before coming to a final decision.

James

Great reply as always James, thank you.

I do like the idea of mounting one on top/on the side of the mak but like you said, depends if the AZ mount could handle the extra weight.

The good thing with the Heritage is that if it doesn't quite work out for me then they are so popular it wouldn't be a problem selling on.

Going back to the ST80, how to you go about mounting it onto an existing OTA?

Thanks again.

I've not given it a huge amount of thought, but it is possible to get scope rings for the 127, so you could bolt the two sets of scope rings together and shim them as necessary to get the two scopes aligned.  Other solutions are surely possible with a bit of ingenuity and access to a workshop.

The ST80 is the StarTravel 80, yes.  I can't believe you'd have any trouble moving that on if you wanted to.  It is pretty much the, err, "goto" telescope for guiding, if you'll excuse the pun.

James

My nexstar slt mount carries the Heritage acceptable well, though you will notice it's the mount's limit, higher magnifications may have slight vibrations. I am not confident that the mount will handle both scopes without issues.

Any smaller telescope will not show more, and the heritage won't either.

The amount of details you see in both telescopes will be similar.

The Mak has a higher focal length, and lacks a 2" focuser for wide field. The Heritage compensates this by the low focal length, but coma and sharpness of the outer field with budget eyepieces is an issue.

The quicker part doesn't mater otherwise, the exit pupil is about the same if you use the same magnification in the heritage and the 127mak.

While the 80mm refractors are nice, I doubt it will be a step up, at least visually. Especially comparing the cost it only makes sense if you need a lighter, high quality travel telescope?

A 24/25mm wide angle eyepiece may be a better spend then a similar or smaller telescope. Sure, it won't show more, but I does give nice views compared to a 30/32mm Plössl on the 1.25" focuser.

I'm afraid the next step up is a c8 or a step into video astronomy ;-)

For the few larger DSO that won't fit into the view of the slt, how about binoculars, 8x60 for free-hand, or 15x70 on a tripod?

Plejads and some nebulae look amazing in those.

Yeah, binos are something to think about but I do like the idea of mounting the st80 on top of the mak if the mount will take the extra weight meaning I could also use the goto system.

Especial as ive been looking at travel scopes anyway.

It is a tricky question :)

In suggesting the ST80 (or 102) I'm trying to think about how to arrange things to get the most use out of both scopes.  Were I in your position I think if I already had the Mak I probably wouldn't use the 130P very much.  There are a few instances where the faster scope would prove more useful I think, but perhaps not that many.  The 130P will clearly beat the ST80 hands down at those times, but it struck me that the GOTO may not always put a scope with a narrow field of view such as the Mak right onto the target first time unless it's very well aligned.  In that case the ST80, if mounted with the Mak, might well prove useful for finding targets as well as viewing in its own right.  I'd rather have a smaller scope I used lots than a larger one I only used occasionally.

It's such a personal thing at this point though that I'd expect ten different people to have ten different opinions as to what the best way forward would be :)

James

I am not sure there is an easy answer. I was using binos for years before eventually getting the my first scope and when there are good skies it is amazing what you can see at 15x. 

As visual DSO needs a big scope, have you thought about imaging DSOs instead ? (Yeah, I am just trying to empty your wallet :evil: ). So my suggestion would be to think about a refractor, but get something that gives you the opportunity to get into imaging.

Imaging is a long way away yet even though the thought had crossed my mind

I do like James` thinking about getting the most out of both scopes.

If they are mounted together, I would probably use both on quite a few occasions. Plus I dont like my rdf so I could get rid of that and use the st80 as my finding scope.

Hobsey, bit of a noob here, sorry in advance :) Are you suggesting mounting an ST80 on top of your Nexstar 127? Would love to see that if it can be done. Could a DSLR be mounted also or is that just asking for trouble weight wise? Is the ST80 regarded then as a wide field scope. I've a good view from my roof over Belfast lough, I was thinking in my head that I could have a little scope like this for terrestrial viewing and images. I just took it for granted that I'd have to swap over each time between the Mak and smaller scope (When I buy one). Having both mounted and ready to go would be excellent though. Looks like good value the ST80 also. I got a picture of a ship coming in the other night through the Mak (Stena line), all I got was a big funnel with an S on it :) It was nicely in focus though. Think I will have to invest in something like the ST80 regardless 

Hobsey, bit of a noob here, sorry in advance :) Are you suggesting mounting an ST80 on top of your Nexstar 127? Would love to see that if it can be done. Could a DSLR be mounted also or is that just asking for trouble weight wise?

No worries, you're probably no more of a noob than I am.

That is exactly what I'm suggesting, I blame James for putting the idea into my head.  :laugh: I had to try it out.

I would have no idea if it would work purely because of the weight. I now have one on its way to me so the first thing to do before working out how to mount it is to tape it to the top of the MAK to see if the goto can handle the extra weight.

If it doesn't work, not a problem. Seen some nice astrophotography, so I would just have to get a good tripod. 

Received the st80 today, placed it on top of the mak to see how the motor would cope with another scope on board and it didn't struggle at all.

Got a couple of videos to show you the comparison in motor speeds, first one is the mak on its own and the second is with the st80 on top with D.I.Y tube rings.

Look's good hobsey. In my impatience I went with the little travel scope, wanted it for the weekend. Being on Amazon prime I expected it to arrive yesterday (And it didn't). On a plus though they extended my prime account (Would have preferred my little scope though)

I done a lot of searching for mounting options. This may help you, bought one of these on ebay for £15.

I'm sure the guy can get more: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400593527486?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It has like a DSLR type screw.

Archived