NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

JTW Ultimate Deep Cooled Canon 1100D V3?

So how about it?

In another thread Ollypenrice pointed out to me that while I was looking at optics, I should be looking at camera.

Never say old dogs can learn new tricks!

How about this baby! Heavilly modified Canon 1100D, 4 times as sensitive as a regular DSLR, and can be cooled down to -80 degrees celcius.

setup.jpg

http://www.jtwastronomy.com/products/ultimate.html

Website caption:

"his camera represents the pinnacle of modified DSLR cameras. Deep cooled to -80°C below the the sensor's normal operating temperature. This camera is 4x more sensitive than a regular DSLR and is capable of exposures of one hour in length without breaking a sweat. This is not only a great one shot colour camera, ideal for the short imaging windows allowed with the European climate. It is also prefectly capable of taking extremely long narrowband exposures."

So how about it?

I bet it outperforms the QHY8L a few times over, no? And the price is pretty close too...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

I actually read a thread on here about someone receiving one of them and the sensor had hairs on, don't get me wrong I think what they have achieved is great I follow them on Facebook but would you really want to pay £1200 for a cmos chip, but they do look way cool! (No pun intended) :D

Been wondering if I should go for CCD or this one in the future, I also follow JTW on facebook and they post some amazing images from those cameras. I think however I would need new telescope with a more robust focuser for a big camera like that.

Maybe their prices will go down after a while once they've masted manufacturing them more quickly, I think they were relocating to new facilities recently as well.

I bought a full spectrum DSLR from them back in march, and I've been very happy with it so far. :)

I think JTW have done an incredible job with this.  With the cooling it means that thermal noise (dark current) is no longer a limiting factor (as it can be for uncooled Canons).

So with the thermal noise no longer a factor, the key performance indicator is the QE (quantum efficiency).  The higher this is, the smoother (i.e. noise free) your astro-images will look.  JTW's site says the QE of this camera is around 25-30% compared with 40-50% for typical dedicated astrocameras. Looking up the QE of QHY8L, it is around 50-60%.

The QHY8L is a one shot colour camera.  You can reduce image noise even further by using LRGB filters on a mono camera because this is a more effective acquisition technique.  However, here in Northern Europe where we suffer constant cloud and clear nights are rare, I do think that one shot colour is preferable - it means you catch all your data in one go and don't miss out on the Blue data, for instance, because the clouds or the mist came over before the imaging sequence could be completed and the next 3 weeks are cloudy!

Mark

So if I were to make a choice between this super-cooled Canon mod and the QHY8L, the latter would be my best option?

Not necessarily. The QE figures suggest that the QHY8L will give similar quality images to the Canon in half the time.  This is only one consideration.  Other factors are useability, compatibility, reliability, versatility, sensor pixel count, software support, manufacturer's support etc. 

Personally I use Canons because they're cheap to buy 2nd hand off eBay and modify myself.  It's all part of the enjoyment for me. 

Different people will always have different reasons for choosing one camera over another.  They're all capable of producing stunning images.

Mark

I am really torn in this matter.

I have read so many negative things about the QHY8L, but it is the only camera in that price-range with such a large chip. And that matters to me. It matters allot.

then theres the modded JTW camera with the downside being that its an actual DSLR...

so, do I move from my Nikon D3100 (which is pretty much as bad as you can go with a camera for astro imaging) to yet another DSLR, OR do I take the leap and go for an actual CCD astro camera...

I'm just about ready to pull my hair out.... :p

Alveprinsen.

Ok, I'm in the processing of selling my kickass camera-drone in order to finance this camera. I got two interested buyers allready, so I might go for the JTW Ultimate Deep Cooled Canon 1100D V3 any day now.

If anyone should have any knowledge that this is a super-bad idea, please let me know ASAP... I want to buy this cam so much, my hands are trembling... :p

but its an expensive piece of hardware, so... if anyone, preferably with experience - would want to advice me against going through with the purchase - let me know.

Alveprinsen.

Hi Alveprinsen,

Hope you haven't collapsed in a confused heap...! I'm enjoying your posts in search of he best set up to get some really impressive pics as I am going through the same thought process at the same time and I think I have a fairly similar setup to you right now.

Anyway, I have just found this website: http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm (thanks to the links section of SGL) and it is fascinating playing around with the different cameras attached to a SW 80ED-Pro with 0.8x reducer...

It makes me think that some of those objects that are just too small with a dslr suddenly become 'do-able' with a CCD, something like a Starlight XPress Trius H9 Colour (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/starlight-xpress-cameras/starlight-xpress-trius-h9-colour-ccd-astronomy-camera.html)....

Something to throw into the mix I guess, though I have never used that kind of CCD so don't talk from experience. I guess it really depends on your ultimate goal with it all.

Good luck!

Gav.

Anyway, I have just found this website: http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm (thanks to the links section of SGL) and it is fascinating playing around with the different cameras attached to a SW 80ED-Pro with 0.8x reducer...

It makes me think that some of those objects that are just too small with a dslr suddenly become 'do-able' with a CCD, something like a Starlight XPress Trius H9 Colour (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/starlight-xpress-cameras/starlight-xpress-trius-h9-colour-ccd-astronomy-camera.html)....

I use that webpage all the time. :) Its really usefull. Just too bad there are lots of objects not listed, such as the NGC objects etc. etc.

Yeah, I guess some objects are kinda small for a DSLR.. However, I am considering going for focal length in order to deal with that problem. at a 2400mm focal length, even some of the really small things get large enough. Only problem then is F-ration. My guess is that with a 250/1200 newtonian with a 2x barlow at like F 9,4 - given enough exposure time with a decently sensitive camera, could possibly yield some nice results.

slow, sure... but not completely undoable. Unlike my F15 Mak which seems more and more useless for the stuff I am currently doing. I guess I will have to take some Jupiter pics this winter so it wont just collect dust.. :)

Edit: Oh, that CCD camera you linked. Problem with these is the chip size, unless yo go for the 4000 - 6000 euro ones... :D This is the main reason why I am so strongly considering the JTW camera.

So, given her beautiful images, I think an exact copy of her setup would give some imaging success:

http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ngc6888_completed.jpg

Scope: Takahashi FSQ85 / Mount: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse / Camera: Atik 460EX

Spare 10 grand to lend me please anyone, .... , anyone?!

Oh, and a roof top observatory in Eastern Spain!

Archived