NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Well, you are rubbish Sam lol. I am still up for a meet-up if the skies are clear and if anyone else is up for an outing. At RSPB Old Moor with Luke today, so I'll keep my eye on here later to see what's happening :)

Hi Vicky

That's my local birdwatching site

Neil

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Vicky

That's my local birdwatching site Neil

We go regular as we are members of RSPB, but we tend to just go to Old Moor as it is a great place with friendly staff.

The Bug Lady was there today, and now Luke wants a giant African land snail lol

It would be funny if you have been when we have been there :)

We go regular as we are members of RSPB, but we tend to just go to Old Moor as it is a great place with friendly staff.

The Bug Lady was there today, and now Luke wants a giant African land snail lol

It would be funny if you have been when we have been there :)

I am RSPB member as well I try to most Sunday mornings

I have probably walk past you at some time

Neil

We've just got back and we've had a lovely day there, although we always do ;)

Still looking good for tonight if anyone else is playing out.

I won't mind going out but I can't stay out to late

Neil

Well,I have just been to Gain's to borrow his PowerMates. The car is loaded and I am just popping back to Ossett to drop my mate off. Still up for meeting if anyone else is. I'll check back on here in a while to see what's what. Really want to try to get Saturn if I can :)

Apparently there was a magnitude 3.0 earthquake in North Wales this afternoon at 16.41. Wonder if Mark felt it?

No I never felt it Vicky we were making tea. We're was the epicentre did they say ? Wish I had over never felt one yet not even that big one about 10 year ago [emoji33]

Mark

Just taken a look at three weather forecasts BBC, XC and Metcheck

Two clear one cloudy which I can see from here. All three have wind speed in the region of 9-25mph. I can also see the wind turbines up on the tops and they are going around at a fair lick! I'm going to take a walk to the shop and back and then make a decision 

Damian

No I never felt it Vicky we were making tea. We're was the epicentre did they say ? Wish I had over never felt one yet not even that big one about 10 year ago [emoji33]

Mark

I was at work happened about two in the morning and I remember it clearly. Thought someone had run the overhead crane into the stop blocks at the end of the track

I was at work happened about two in the morning and I remember it clearly. Thought someone had run the overhead crane into the stop blocks at the end of the track

Slept right through it Damian. I thought they were talking the micky at work when they were on about it lol

Mark

Slept right through it Damian. I thought they were talking the micky at work when they were on about it lol Mark

That was the one with the epicentre at Dudley. It woke me up as the bed proper rumbled lol. Put the news on to see what was going on. Probably felt it more as we are up in the loft bedroom :)

Just taken a look at three weather forecasts BBC, XC and Metcheck

Two clear one cloudy which I can see from here. All three have wind speed in the region of 9-25mph. I can also see the wind turbines up on the tops and they are going around at a fair lick! I'm going to take a walk to the shop and back and then make a decision 

Damian

What do you think? Is it too windy that way, or are you heading out?

No I never felt it Vicky we were making tea. We're was the epicentre did they say ? Wish I had over never felt one yet not even that big one about 10 year ago [emoji33] Mark

It says on the news the epicentre was Caenarfon :)

What do you think? Is it too windy that way, or are you heading out?

Hi Vicky 

It's not too bad here at present but up on the tops the main windmills are doing a lap every 5 seconds and the smaller ones are going around at a much faster speed. I think its safe to say it would be about as windy as last time we were up there so with the set up I've got it wouldn't be much cop.

I'm going to stay put tonight shame to say as I just think it will shake the scope all over. Between 1 and 2 am are the darkest at this time of year.

On a better note, Saturn is already up in the SE and I've managed to see two of Jupiter moons with the 2" finder. Looking beyond these Arcturus and Muphrid in Bootes and Vega, Sheliak and Sulafat in Lyra are easily visible

Hi Vicky 

It's not too bad here at present but up on the tops the main windmills are doing a lap every 5 seconds and the smaller ones are going around at a much faster speed. I think its safe to say it would be about as windy as last time we were up there so with the set up I've got it wouldn't be much cop.

I'm going to stay put tonight shame to say as I just think it will shake the scope all over.

On a better note, Saturn is already up in the SE and I've managed to see two of Jupiter moons with the 2" finder. Looking beyond these Arcturus and Muphrid in Bootes and Vega, Sheliak and Sulafat in Lyra are easily visible

Thanks for letting me know. I'll get Saturn another time as I can't see it from my garden, but at least I have got the Powermate to have a go next time I can get out :)

im going to go out in my back garden in a minute and take a look at saturn. Clouds are expected around midnight i think tonight. We dont get true astro darkness now at this time of year but should be fine for Planets and the moon.

At least the wind has died down now.

I'm going to head back home and see what I can see from the back yard. Might be able to have a go at Jupiter before we lose it. Going to have another go at Lovejoy as I couldn't pick it up with the DSLR last night which was odd as it is so close to Polaris, but it just wasn't showing up on long exposure like it did a few days ago.

I'm going to head back home and see what I can see from the back yard. Might be able to have a go at Jupiter before we lose it. Going to have another go at Lovejoy as I couldn't pick it up with the DSLR last night which was odd as it is so close to Polaris, but it just wasn't showing up on long exposure like it did a few days ago.

Me and Soupy both had trouble finding it the other night and we were surprised at how far away from polaris it is

i might try for lovejoy if i can tonight, i cant see jupiter i dont think from my back garden as i think its too low in the west at this time. I have a northern,east and southern horizan but but my house is in the way of the west :) so I have to leave home to get a good western horizan.

Looks like a cloudy forecast for the rest of the week

Me and Soupy both had trouble finding it the other night and we were surprised at how far away from polaris it isThe light sky didnt 

The light sky i guess didnt help. ill see if i can locate it with a bit of help from Goto :)

Archived