The Dobsonian Conversion

Thought I'd share my early observing experiences, in case it's of any help to other beginners...

A few months ago I got a Celestron 130 SLT. It was just to dip my toe into astronomy and see how I got on. Well, I was awestruck. So excited even by the sheer number of stars that appeared in the eyepiece, never mind the first time I saw the moon and then - blimmin' 'eck! - spotted Andromeda.

What frustrated me, though, was that GoTo - as I've since read on SGL somewhere - should be renamed GoNear. I also hate the interminable waiting for the motor to swing the tube around. Anyway, it's not for me. I was quickly yearning for the free movement of a Dobsonian mount.

The opportunity arose to grab a Meade Lightbridge and, after endless indecision about which size to go for, I finally went 12". Last night it got its first proper outing.

Wow.

I can't believe how much more engaging it feels to me to be able to nudge it around by hand or quickly swing it to the objects I can now locate by memory. I spent most of the time on the Dumbbell and Ring Nebulae (whenever I got a break in the darn clouds) and I loved every moment.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should start with a massive, heavy Dob, but I wish I'd at least opted for a medium Dob at first and had known what I could achieve with Stellarium. For me, GoTo is something I think I'll only consider again if I decide to invest in an astroimaging outfit. 

And I know a few people moan about the mods needed to get the Lightbridges up to scratch, but I like the odd DIY challenge. While the skies have been cloudy, I've been adding uprated primary mirror springs, secondary mirror adjustment knobs, a light shroud and a RA finder. I made a control knob from an old ball-and-socket tripod head. Still trying to figure out a neat counterweighting method, so if anyone's got any suggestions...

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself. Hope you all are, too.

I use a soft back support wrap around thingy. Luckily there is a pouch here which I filled with 1.7 kilo of lead weights. This wraps around the primary unit and replaces the silly supplied brake. If you are going to use magnetic weights , note that a plastic sheet should cover the paintwork or it'll strip.

I have seen a weight bar with sliding weight and a magnetic knife holder with weights used.

I also put 3 door stops in place of the locking bolts so that the ota can stand alone when moving.

For the obvious targets it's quicker than the GOTO and lovely to use,

Nick.

Archived