Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anything Recommended for MAC's?

nicktpir

Having just taken the plunge and bought an AZ EQ6GT mount, I've been looking around for suitable software to control it from my laptop. I've had a look at EQMOD, as I've seen this is very popular, but this only works with Windows , and my laptop is a MAC. Does anyone have any similar software recommendations for me?

Thanks to all!

Personally, I have never succeeded in getting EQmod and the rest of the software paraphanalia going on my MAC's.  As much as I love MACs (I have four of them....) its PC when it comes to a field laptop for me.  Others have had success though.

I agree. All the stuff is for Windows and any degree of automation beyond manual capture sends you in that direction. I have used Dave's EQMac and it is well written, functions flawlessly and is fine in all respects. Pair that with Nebulosity 3 and PHD Guiding and you have a fully functional MANUAL setup for Mac.

/per

I've got what I wiuld call a fully automatic Mac setup. I do not have an obsy yet though but I'll be making software for that when I do.

I use EQMac and PHD with with an Imaging Source firewire guide camera. I use nebulosity to help me get focused. Ok that bit is manual, but since I built my own focuser I've been working on a Mac version of FocusMax, but not very far along with that. Just not enough hours in the day.

For capture I use QSEye which goes with my QSI camera, but before that I used a homemade DSLR shutter controller with a bit of software I wrote to automate capture on a canon DSLR. I never made that public though.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm a Mac user and I agree with the above. Dave's EqMac is great and I use it combined with Nebulosity 3 and PhD. What kind of camera do you have?

SX cameras work also great with Nebulosity in Mac and also the SX filter wheels (both the big one and the mini). And of course there are now OSX drivers for Atik thanks to Nick. As pointed out above for processing Pixinsight is available for Mac as well as StarTools (but only the 32bit version).

Also there is the issue of which camera you're using for guiding, not all of them are handled by PhD in Mac, for example I went for the SX Costar rather than the very popular QHY5 because of this. HTH,

cheers

E.

So perfrej made the comment earlier that you cannot get a fully automated setup on Mac. I think that is not quite true as I think software sych as The SkyX offers a pretty comprehensive solution but I am not a user so I cannot say how automated you can get with that.

One thing that dies seem missing on Mac is decent autofocus software. I have started working on a Mac version of FocusMax, originally to go with my homemade SGL focuser, but it could also support stuff like Robofocus where the protocol is openly available.

What other software do people feel the Mac is lacking in order to be fully automated?

Almost forgot, it's no longer for sale but it's easily found for free, ScopeDriver. Also StarStax is good. I've been able to get along just fine without needing to resort to windows. That said, should you feel the need, BootCamp is the best. You can run windows as fast if not faster than a PC by booting into windows vs losing speed in an emulator. I rarely read about people using it and I'm unsure why.

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

I second that! Sky Safari is awesome. It does have a price whereas something like Stellarium doesnt, but then Sky Safari wont turn your Mac into a wind turbine as the cooling fans start running at max.

I think the price is justified given the work put into the app.

I should clarify what I mean by full automation ;)

The software should, complete on its own with me on the other side of the planet and not connected:

1. Start up the observatory before sundown
  2. Open the roof if the weather is clear
  3. Power on my devices (cam, dew heater and what not)
  4. Take sky flats when it is dark enough
  5. Select a target from my list of desired targets that is best positioned for the next hour
  6. Shoot an hour of images on that target
  7. Make the same decision again and again
  8. Focus on filter changes
  9. Focus on time intervals
  10. Pre-process every sub if I want it so
  11. Pause imaging on cloudy condition
  12. Park the scope and close the roof on rain or overcast conditions
  13. Take sky flats at dawn if so desired
  14. Park the scope and close the roof at sunup
  15. Power off devices
  16. Wait until next sunset

Currently, exactly one available software package does all of this (except a somewhat simpler handling of 11 and 12, but I am re-scripting that): ACP with ACP Scheduler.

It is one heck of a software suite, let me tell ya'! And everything is controlled via a web browser, from the phone, from the pad, from an internet café. I have, at one time, even entered a new target from an airliner over Norway (SAS now offers WiFi on select routes and planes) ;)

/per

acp01.GIF

acp02.GIF

Ahhh, THAT kind of automation. Yeah, u might be stuck on a Mac for that. But, I've not built my obsy yet, and I refuse to use windows :-D

I have plans for making bits and pieces of that list, but I am only one guy... Still, it'll keep me off the streets as it were....

If you build everything the right way it will be an easy process. Start with the simple tasks, like capture an image autonomously, then group them - well, you know all that ;)

Now, as for Windows or OSX or Linux, it really doesn't matter in your observatory computer because it will be running on its own with no user contact anyway. And, the development tools in the windows world is far better, then there is ASCOM. But yes, do go ahead and build it! I am actually thinking about creating an ACP alternative myself - but in Windows - hehe...

/per

Now, as for Windows or OSX or Linux, it really doesn't matter in your observatory computer because it will be running on its own with no user contact anyway. And, the development tools in the windows world is far better, then there is ASCOM. But yes, do go ahead and build it!

per

Whoa! Point of order sir!!! If I put windows in my obsy I'd know it was there lurking....and that would eat away at me from the inside.

Seriously tho, half the fun of astronomy for me is the DIY aspect of playing with things, making my own apps and gadgets, and maybe trying to make them available to a wider community. That's why building an obsy has such an appeal right now...a whole new set of challenges to be worked on!! Can't wait...

I use EQMac for scope control, I'm testing a Rigel motorized focuser on my scope which runs nicely using a little piece of software by Craig Stark called Rigel nStep. I capture using Nebulosity and guide with PHD. I've not felt the need to really use planetarium apps much but there's several available.

Most of my imaging can now be done sat on a chair relaxing. I can screen share my MacBook to the iMac inside if I wish although I prefer to be outside. There's a few things I can't do fully automatic  but I'm now about as automated as I want to be :)

James

I use EQMac for scope control, I'm testing a Rigel motorized focuser on my scope which runs nicely using a little piece of software by Craig Stark called Rigel nStep. I capture using Nebulosity and guide with PHD. I've not felt the need to really use planetarium apps much but there's several available.

Most of my imaging can now be done sat on a chair relaxing. I can screen share my MacBook to the iMac inside if I wish although I prefer to be outside. There's a few things I can't do fully automatic  but I'm now about as automated as I want to be :)

James

Hi James,

that's a good bit of info. Do you know by any chance if this Rigel motorized focuser can be used for the focuser of the Megrez 72?

cheers

E.

Thanks for all the useful suggestions and advice. Some/lots of it is a bit out of my league at the moment, but I'll stash it away for future reference.

I've taken delivery of the mount at last, and after some initial playing with it, decided to start off sensibly, and update the firmware in the Synscan controller. It was supplied with version 3.33, well what a mistake that was! I pressed my daughter's laptop into service, but this operates on Windows 8 which after the simplicity of Apple stuff, scrambles your head in a New York minute. After downloading the Firmware Updater & version 3.35 zip files, I realised that I would need a USB to Serial Adaptor, so a trip to the local PC shop ensued. They had one in stock! Deep joy. Got home & thrashed around with it for a bit, but kept getting the "Can't find a Synscan Handset" message..... Then the penny dropped. I needed the USB Serial Port drivers (why don't Microrot include these in the basic Windows package?). Downloaded the necessary drivers & installed them. Ran the Firmware Updater again and......."Can't find a Synscan Handset again"!

Went round in a few circles like this for a while, then thought, "What about the Stargazers?".

Any ideas ladies/gents?

It's not massively important to update the firmware, but if you really want to then these are the sorts of issues that occur. I've seen that error a lot but not sure what causes it. But make sure the usb adapter drivers are providing you with a new COM port. And make sure you select that port in the upgrade tool and have it detect. I found that if you detect, then upgrade it might work...if you're lucky...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Success!

I didn't want to lash out €15 on a USB/Serial cable that came complete with a CD with the appropriate drivers, so bought one for €10 and then paid the guy in another shop €10 to search the internet & install the correct drivers. Net saving -€5! But, now have version 3.35 on the handset.

Happy days are just around the corner! Thanks again for the advice & support.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived