NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you use the Canon (or other brand) Angle Finder C?

leebca

Was reading the Practical Amateur Astronomy Digital SLR Astrophotography book by Michael Covington and came across a piece of equipment I hadn't heard of before.  He writes about the Canon Angle Finder C and using it for DSLR AP.

Do you use one or any of the other off-brand Angle Finders in your DSLR AP?  Is it useful?  Would it be useful for a beginner?

Thanks.

LEE

Looked at these when I was starting out , lead by the same source , found that it was cumbersome to use and as it only offered 2.5 x magnification it was not particularly helpful to be honest.

I didn't buy it ...  :smiley:

I'm guessing it was helpful in the days when no Liveview was available , but using the zoom feature in Liveview either on the rear screen , or as I do personally on the laptop screen is much easier.

It's a very expensive thing that will disappoint I believe , better to buy the full version of APT and save yourself over $200. ...  :laugh:

I use an angled finder all the time but not on my DSLR, I've modded it so it slips over the polar scope eyepiece of my IEQ45 mount, so now no more grovelling around under the mount when polar aligning the mount :)

Mel

If you have a recent Android phone and Canon you can use an app called DSLR Controller by Chainfire. You simply connect via a USB cable and you then have total control over the camera settings and also the live view on your Android device. I've found this works really well. You don't have to touch the camera at all, so everything stays nice and steady.

I use my Galaxy Note 2, which has the perfect screen size for this. Makes the perfect hands off controller IMHO. Saves me having to lug about a laptop!

I use the angle finder on my 550D as the live view screen is fixed so can assume some very awkward positions. I bought it originally for my 5D which has no live view.

I also use it for photography with my 5D, eg for fungi.

Was reading the Practical Amateur Astronomy Digital SLR Astrophotography book by Michael Covington and came across a piece of equipment I hadn't heard of before.  He writes about the Canon Angle Finder C and using it for DSLR AP.
Do you use one or any of the other off-brand Angle Finders in your DSLR AP?  Is it useful?  Would it be useful for a beginner?
Thanks.
LEE

Hi,

As an ex photographer  I can tell you that angle finders were mostly used in still life photography ,  these days with the use of laptops and software such as APT and others,  optical view finders  of any sort have no place in AP. Stay away from it.

A.G

I have a Canon angle finder for my Rebel 350. I scoured the internet for months thinking this would be the answer to my centering the object on the chip.

However I did find that the image through the finder is incredibly dim and it really doesn't help at all.

It's back in it's pouch and consigned to all the other stuff I have thought I needed for AP and don't use !

Don't waste your money. If your camera has live view-use it. If it doesn't then just be patient.

Have fun

Nick

Archived