NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strip Dew Heater For a Celestron 6SE reflector

I cant speak for the HitecAstro one Steve but I have an Astro Zap and find it very effective. I use a separate power pack so I dont lose any life from the scope one, you can get a cheap one from Maplins. It may be that the cheaper strap is perfectly effective though.

Dave.

Hi Steve,

Do you mean Celestron Schmidt Cassegrain 6 inch - not reflector?

If so, like you know SCTs are dew magnets. I remember my C11 could suck all the dew in the garden in under 30 minutes. I used only a dew shield which lasted for about 3 hours. If you intend on spending more time outside especially in those humid condition, then yes, a dew heater is necessary.

I would suggest, however, that you invest in a dew controller that has more than 1 port just in case you want to use another heat strap for, say, finder scope or telrad..

If you have a stable 12v supply one these works very well i drop the voltage to around 5 volts on a ST80 its clear all night, the volt meters bit of over kill only really needs the output.....source from E-bay very cheap....

DSC_9568.jpg

Just a word of warning about the Hitecastro contoller. The terminals are quite sunk in on my controller and give quite a loose connection to the heater strip.

I have already dismantled it to see if I can do anything about it.

Options are, take a demel tool to the case and widen the holes so I can push the heater strip terminals further down or try and unstick the circuit board without damaging it and moving it further up and resticking it.

I have the AstroZap four port controller but one half of it failed, not economical to post back for repair so it has become a single channel / two tape heater controller.  Never was too sure how well it worked, my scope still seemed to dew up as I wasn't sure how high to turn up the knobs.

I bought the HitechAstro four channel, four port controller as a replacement which I have yet to use with my 8SE, but as it also comes with 12V outputs I should need one less battery port (for the scope power).

• 1 month later...

Archived