Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography Christmas Gift

Good thinking Sp@ce-d, have a look at this its written by one of our Mods (Quatermass-Top bloke) http://astrocasto.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-set-up-guiding-system-for-your.html It tells u all u need to know about setting up a cheap AP rig including how to turn a 9x50 finder into a guide scope, its a good read & Marks images are testimony to how it can be done on the cheap (Very well) Its not an easy way to do AP but he shows it can be done.

Steve

Yup he's done some very useful tutorials.. Top bloke ;)

My experience using the finder/guider:

I first used a webcam (SPC900) it worked but only on brighter stars due to sensitivity.

Next I got the QHY5. That's the one I use now. I do also have a CoStar which I've used but I found the larger chip gave too much FOV. So whilst it is more sensitive than the QHY the stars are smaller. So I use the CoStar with the ST80.

Its omething to take into account, as in choosing the main scope & camera combination. Pixels per arc secs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did a price up of some gear. I know im going to have to wait till I read every photon counts but what do people think of this set-up so far... my budget was £2k I went £60 over. If I wanted to go under I could just change out the scope without the kit. 

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-PRO Outfit - Includes 2"/50.8mm Di-Electric Star Diagonal, 2" 28mm LES eyepiece, 9x50 finderscope and Aluminium case - £459

Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO Synscan - £959

Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA - £97

Starlight Xpress Lodestar - £385

Skywatcher Focal Reducers - For 80ED - £16

Total £2,060.00

What do people think?? 

Perfect kit list to start out the right way :)

To answer a few other questions, yes, you could mount your Skyliner on your NEQ6 (if you have a look at my avatar pic, that is a 250PX Dob up on an NEQ6). You would only need tube rings and possibly a second dovetail bar for stability, though you normally get one with the mount anyway.

If you haven't yet, please do read Steve's book. It explains very nicely the easiest way to go about things. Mark's (Quatermass) images are testament to the results you can get with other kit, but if you read through some of his posts, you can see the huge effort and dedication he has had to put in to achieve what he has. It can be done, but not everybody has the mettle to make it work. If you have the opportunity to kit yourself out with the equipment above, it does take some of the pain out of it. I would love an ED80 for imaging, sadly it's just not in budget right now.

Synscan vs. Syntrek is a question in itself. I went for the full Synscan version. One less USB port to have to worry about, I can image with just a Camera and lens from way out in the boonies if I want to. I can connect direct via EQMod if I want to. Keep your options open. If you go the EQMod route and never touch your handset again...flog it and make a few quid back.

post-5915-0-74361800-1380441103_thumb.jp

Cheers Rik! The fact that the 200p would be able to be mounted is a bonus because I would like to be able to add the goto feature later on down the line for ease. 

I got told this morning that the book has arrived so I will be able to start reading it from tomorrow :-) very much look forward to it. I also understand that its going to be a persistent and long learning curve which I actually find myself looking forward to its exciting i think. 

All you guys are wicked its a good community here on stargazers lounge. Very happy indeed with all your help thanks again. I hope you keep with me and watch as i progress. Its

going to be one hell of a Christmas think ill over take the room with big boxes lol

I just did a price up of some gear. I know im going to have to wait till I read every photon counts but what do people think of this set-up so far... my budget was £2k I went £60 over. If I wanted to go under I could just change out the scope without the kit. 

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-PRO Outfit - Includes 2"/50.8mm Di-Electric Star Diagonal, 2" 28mm LES eyepiece, 9x50 finderscope and Aluminium case - £459

Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO Synscan - £959

Skywatcher Startravel 80 OTA - £97

Starlight Xpress Lodestar - £385

Skywatcher Focal Reducers - For 80ED - £16

Total £2,060.00

What do people think??

It certainly looks like you`re set for a great Christmas Nathan! This is exactly the set up I'm considering except I hadn't included the Starlight Express (yet!). Would you use this for auto guiding only or can it be used for imaging as well?

Cheers, Ness

To be honest Ness I ain't really equipped to tell you whether it would be good for both. What I've been doing is reading up and then searching the guide cam in Flickr and Google which then tends to show me the sort of results it's possible to get. Of course the rest of the setup is also a factor.

No worries. I plan to use my dslr to begin with for the imaging side but I'm still trying to get my head around guiding. I'm halfway through Making Every Photon Count. It's helping it all become clear. Hopefully I'll be set to put it into practice by the time I finish! I'm sure you'll find it helpful too

No worries. I plan to use my dslr to begin with for the imaging side but I'm still trying to get my head around guiding. I'm halfway through Making Every Photon Count. It's helping it all become clear. Hopefully I'll be set to put it into practice by the time I finish! I'm sure you'll find it helpful too

Hope so Ness!! I also plan to use a dslr, I own a canon 50d which I will mount to the scope and then use the guide cam with the aid of the guide scope and using PHD Guiding to lock onto a nearby star. This then lets DSLR's do long exposures better. Well that's what I've kinda worked out from reading online. I am sure someone will correct me if that basic principle is wrong. 

Hope so Ness!! I also plan to use a dslr, I own a canon 50d which I will mount to the scope and then use the guide cam with the aid of the guide scope and using PHD Guiding to lock onto a nearby star. This then lets DSLR's do long exposures better. Well that's what I've kinda worked out from reading online. I am sure someone will correct me if that basic principle is wrong. 

You'll also benifit from capture software such as this http://www.backyardeos.com/  you create your capture plan using byeos (exposure times, iso settings etc it also lets u set ur darks aswell) you set it going & leave the software to take the images meaning you dont risk knocking the scope during you session. Its been developed especially for the canon EOS series.

You'll also benifit from capture software such as this http://www.backyardeos.com/ you create your capture plan using byeos (exposure times, iso settings etc it also lets u set ur darks aswell) you set it going & leave the software to take the images meaning you dont risk knocking the scope during you session. Its been developed especially for the canon EOS series.

I've actually already brought this :-) excellent piece of software.

Hi. I am pretty new to astrophotography, but my limited experience of it might be of help. I too planned my purchases quite recently and was set on a big scope to get amazing Hubble-esque DSO PICS, but everywhere I looked and everyone I spoke to recommended the Skywatcher 80ed and not a great big thing. So, I bit my lip and ordered the 'puny' scope, with reducer and an HEQ5 mount.

I have been totally blown away by this gear. It's 'easy' to use (with a lot of setting up in the sitting room to get familiar with it in the light and a lot of reading). But, it really works well and the results have astounded me so far. So, be sensible, go for the 80ed with bits and then add to it once you have mastered the photography side of it a little. Sounds like you have the funds to feed the habit, so add pieces bit by bit, that way you also get a regular retail therapy high and time to suss out each piece before adding.

Astrophotography is an incredibly technical and complex art form, so make it as easy for yourself as possible!

On the subject of what to buy next.... What is the best bigger scope to add to the 80ed to get deeper into space?!??

Hi. I am pretty new to astrophotography, but my limited experience of it might be of help. I too planned my purchases quite recently and was set on a big scope to get amazing Hubble-esque DSO PICS, but everywhere I looked and everyone I spoke to recommended the Skywatcher 80ed and not a great big thing. So, I bit my lip and ordered the 'puny' scope, with reducer and an HEQ5 mount.

I have been totally blown away by this gear. It's 'easy' to use (with a lot of setting up in the sitting room to get familiar with it in the light and a lot of reading). But, it really works well and the results have astounded me so far. So, be sensible, go for the 80ed with bits and then add to it once you have mastered the photography side of it a little. Sounds like you have the funds to feed the habit, so add pieces bit by bit, that way you also get a regular retail therapy high and time to suss out each piece before adding.

Astrophotography is an incredibly technical and complex art form, so make it as easy for yourself as possible!

On the subject of what to buy next.... What is the best bigger scope to add to the 80ed to get deeper into space?!??

One or 2 of these :grin: .. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/hubble-cassegrain-reflector-telescope.html

You'll probably have to think about upgrading the mount first if you're thinking along the lines of a larger refractor or MN190, fast newt. They start to act like a sail if you're not obsy based too.

Make Every Photon Count

I've manage to read this book through once now and I'm very impressed by it. I love the fact the author tells you about the big things but also some smaller issue you may be challenged with.

So here's where I stand now I will be using a dslr to image with. However I'm still not sure on what guide scope to go for? I planned to but the lodestar would this make a decent camera too and how does this stand as a guide camera compared to the other popular QHY5 models?

Cheers Nath

The QHY5 is a good guide camera and many use them, myself included. I use it on a finder / guider. People often move to the Lodestar if they are struggling to find guide stars as it's much more sensitive apparently, especially if they are using an OAG. When you get a lodestar, you never look back so I believe!! So far, in 2.5 years I've not failed to find a guide star with the QHY5.

The QHY5 is a good guide camera and many use them, myself included. I use it on a finder / guider. People often move to the Lodestar if they are struggling to find guide stars as it's much more sensitive apparently, especially if they are using an OAG. When you get a lodestar, you never look back so I believe!! So far, in 2.5 years I've not failed to find a guide star with the QHY5.

Cheers Swag. I think I'll go for the lodestar id like to future myself in some way. Does the QHY5 perform well as a camera on its own?

I use a QHY5 as a guide camera also as a finder-guider and have never had a problem finding stars. I think the higher sensitivity of the Lodestar really comes into its own with longer focal length, smaller field of view you get with OAG.

I have used the QHY5 as white light solar camera and done a few lunar images. It's alright but nothing to write home about. Quite noisy really so there are much better options.  Like Sara, I am not much into solar system imaging, so haven't done a great deal of it.

Haha! Brilliant! I wouldn't mind one of those myself ;-)

Nice camera! I've got the 450d which I was looking at upgrading, but after getting the AP bug I will be spending £££ elsewhere and making use of what I have already to start with :-) You've done well finishing Steve's book already! I need to work less and play more I think. If you haven't already, check out the image gallery on his website http://www.skyatnightimages.co.uk/ He has very helfully put the kit used next to each photo and post processing info too. There's some different ones to what is in his book.  I'm certainily liking the look of the results with his CCD camera's. Shame they start at about £1200. And I though £2k was enough for a great set up! I can see why people say deep pockets are useful for this hobby.

Thanks for the tip of looking at Flicker too. I'd checked a few sites, but not there.

Cheers for the link Steve (Nephilim) for the link to the software. Very helpful to another newbie.

A quick question from me (don't mean to hijack your post Nathan) - has anyone had any experience with using the Lodestar for imaging of planets or is the QHY5 more suited to imaging?

A quick question from me (don't mean to hijack your post Nathan) - has anyone had any experience with using the Lodestar for imaging of planets or is the QHY5 more suited to imaging?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=QHY5 - I found this some good examples on planets taken with this camera.

Dont worry about hijacking it I am sure I would ask the question at some point.

Haha! Brilliant! I wouldn't mind one of those myself ;-)

You've done well finishing Steve's book already! I need to work less and play more I think.

I read it to and from work and a lot last night. I plan to read it again but this time make some notes on things I may think ill need. :smiley:

Archived