Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will this tripod fit EQ5 mount?

emadmoussa

I have this very sturdy 2" tripod that came with the Twilight II giro mount (don't have the mount yet, expecting it back this week), I was wondering if it fits EQ5 mount? I'm just hoping Explore Scientific didn't jump off the standard tripod manufacturing guidelines.

post-27451-0-53426400-1379864800_thumb.j

post-27451-0-45432300-1379864805_thumb.j

post-27451-0-80724800-1379864812_thumb.j

post-27451-0-84579700-1379864818_thumb.j

I've just measured the recess in the top of my EQ5 / HEQ5 tripod and it's 60mm. I've also measured the diameter of the projection on the bottom of the AZ-4 head and it's 58mm - there is a little bit of play in the recess in the tripod top, until you tighten up the M10 bolt that is.

I don't have an EQ5 but I do have a SkyTee II and the projection on the bottom of that is 59mm across so I reckon you need a 60mm recess in the tripod top to be sure of fitting one of these Skywatcher mounts.

I've just measured the recess in the top of my EQ5 / HEQ5 tripod and it's 60mm. I've also measured the diameter of the projection on the bottom of the AZ-4 head and it's 58mm - there is a little bit of play in the recess in the tripod top, until you tighten up the M10 bolt that is.

I don't have an EQ5 but I do have a SkyTee II and the projection on the bottom of that is 59mm across so I reckon you need a 60mm recess in the tripod top to be sure of fitting one of these Skywatcher mounts.

That's pretty much consistent with my measurements.  Looking at the photos in the first post I read the ID of the recess as being 58mm and I reckon that's going to be a bit too tight.

James

When I got my fixed pier from ES the pier adapter on the top end was supposed to be EQ5/HEQ5 compatible. The big problem I had with it was the azimuth lug. The first attempt was a tight fit at first but then went very loose, the lug had broken. When replaced I found the lug itself was actually too short anyway and the azimuth bolts on my HEQ5 were missing the lug completely. The pier adapter was machined from an  EXOS-II tripod and looks very like the picture you posted.

Archived