NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can a goto motor be bought separately?

I think someone asked this recently and whilst I've never seen conversion kits for sale in the UK that I recall, I think it is possible to get the GOTO kit for a dob elsewhere, but they're not cheap.

Motorised equatorial wedges certainly available, but it may well be cheaper to buy a new scope :)  I can't recommend any particular model myself.  My dob is entirely manual.

James

Yes I see, thanks james.  What about some sort of gps box jobby that tells you where to point your manual scope??

There are a number of options :

1.  Mount a mobile phone running a planetarium program (Google Sky Map etc) on top the mount

2.  Use a Wixey digital angle gauge mounted on the telescope and mark out the dob base in degrees.- use a laptop planetarium program to find the alt az coordinates.

3   Digital setting circles.- more expensive the the other options

Yes I see, thanks james.  What about some sort of gps box jobby that tells you where to point your manual scope??

You can get the " Mobile observatory App" for your phone/tablet but I wouldn't bank on its accuracy over such large distances :smiley: However  it could be used as a guide :smiley:

Archived