NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Garage roof opening obsy?

NickK

The new house garage has a tiled roof which points south.. So I was wondering if anyone had experience of having portion of a roof opening and a pier exposed under it.

I'm thinking that as the joists would not be cut/altered this would mean a portion of the roof between the joist could be opened.

Just a thought at this stage...

The new house garage has a tiled roof which points south.. So I was wondering if anyone had experience of having portion of a roof opening and a pier exposed under it.

I'm thinking that as the joists would not be cut/altered this would mean a portion of the roof between the joist could be opened.

Just a thought at this stage...

I'd be a bit wary of thermals from the surrounding tiles & rest of the building etc interfering with your seeing though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi Nick

I'm about to do something similar to this. I havent started yet but should do in the next few weeks. I intend to post pictures on here of my progress. I have a very long garage and intend converting the rear end to an obs with warm room. Ive looked at various options and have plumbed for taking the section out completely and having a split sliding polycarbonate type roof mainly to keep the weight down (the sort of stuff they use for conservatory roofs) that will open and slide back over the roof on either side on casters.

Regards

John

I think you will find this web site interesting, Hidden loft Observatory in the USA, been following with interest for many years as I am surrounded by tall buildings and at ground level can only see 25% of the sky, was thinking about building something similar to the Hidden Loft Observatory at first floor level on a flat roof at the rear of the house.

Listed building control officer said no way could I build a visible structure on the flat roof but they had no objections to a hidden structure, just need to find the funds and the time...

http://www.hiddenloft.com/index.html

William.

What's viable probably depends on the construction of the roof.  A cut roof may well have timbers at 16" centres which isn't going to leave you a lot of width in your "window".  A roof made of prefab trusses could have much wider spacing.

James

What's viable probably depends on the construction of the roof.  A cut roof may well have timbers at 16" centres which isn't going to leave you a lot of width in your "window".  A roof made of prefab trusses could have much wider spacing.

James

I won't know this until early October but I'm guessing it's a simple structure - the difference between the hidden roof obsy and this is the roof has tiles so I'm guessing that (a) weight and reinforcement of the tile support.

Archived