Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie in Morpeth

Reeny

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi Glowjet - imaging will be our secondary activity to scanning the nebula(s) and exploring the skies.

I was only going to get a cheap imager to play around with.

A major problem of having only one scope, is sharing the images from the eyepiece with others.

Big Nev - It was the £420 skywatcher 200P like yours which I was interested in.

The little scope is OK for the moon,

but it struggles with Saturns rings, and Andromeda is a complete blur.

I need to try one out before buying.

The 200p seems to be ideal for what I think I need.

Hi again you are more than welcome to pop over some time if you want to check it out i have a holiday coming at work soon so if the sky is clear any time.

That would be great Nev.

I'm struggling to visualise the size and weight of the assembly

I want to know if I can manage to move all of the bits around the house, into the garden, and pack it up into a vehicle for holidays and dark sky road trips.

I will try to PM you my contact details

Cheers, Reeny

Welcome to the forum!

Many people recommend the 200p Dobsonian here and sure it would be a step up from your 3 inch fract. The eq mounted one is good but a little more effort to align

My recommendation would be to try and yourself to an astro club and try out a few types of scopes before you buy

Jim (aka Ben from Berkshire) :)

There is a guest speaker and astro night 10-miles away from me in a few weeks time.

Meldon Hall - 5th October. www.nastro.org.uk/events.html

I would like to see the size and weight of the skywatcher version.

I started window shopping about 6-months ago at different sizes Dobs, for a low cost option.

Then decided that all the extras which came with the mounted 200P 8" were too good to refuse.

Luckily for me, BigNev was kind enough to show me the 200P on the sturdy EQ5 mount.

And it was enormous.

Far too big for me as a "grab-and-go" scope.

So the 8" dobsonian is back to the top of the shopping list.

I'm not in a rush.

The 3" might have some useful life left in it.

If only I can find some dark skies.

Roll on 5th October.

Thank you to everyone here for keeping me on the right track.

Hi Reeny

There is the Kielder star camp at the campsite and castle from 30th October to the 3rd Nov. the main day is Saturday with talks in the afternoon and also venders attend. There will be a multitude of setups at the campsite and I'm sure that the guys will explain the setups if you want any advice. Worth a look if your interested.

Dave

Archived