NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If 2 eyes are better than 1 ?

gazza63

If 2 eyes are better than 1.......

Why do we only use 1 eye through a telescope?

Yet, binoculars use both eyes.

I know that closing each eye in turn gives a different image, and our brain compensates when both eyes are open.

If we were able to use both eyes in a telescope, would we see any better?

Just a thought ( I must be bored) ha.

Yes, you would, if you have a big bino telescope ;-)

I read from experience reports a bino will show as much as a telescope 1.3-1.6x the aperture of the bino...

The human brain is made for binocular vision, but the large binos are heavy, bulky and expensive... And the bino adapters will have some draw-backs as well, especially regarding getting the image aligned, focused, and some telescopes may have difficulties to handle the extra weight... Plus the optics will reduce the brightness of course.

I can tell that the view through binoviewers is mind blowing. If I use the binoviewers on my 180mm Mak/Cass or 4" APO frac the view of the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn is like viewing in 3D - its fantastic. I also use binoviewers to view the Sun with my Lunt Herschel Wedge - again its mind blowing.

I don't use binoviewers to view DSOs because you do have some light reduction - not much but I prefer to use my Ethos EPs on the Dob.

If you get the chance to use binoviewers you won't regret it.

Mark

I have a very fine time with my WO binoviewers on my SCT (8" F10). They are very nice on refractors as well but they take up quite a bit of the light path and you can end up having to use a barlow to get focus. The SCT with moving mirror has loads of focus travel. Superb for planets and lunar. Any drawbacks are more than compensated for by the views.

Cost would be the biggest issue, binoculars simply duplicate all the optics.

Weight, as Marcus pointed out is also an issue. A 10" mirror already weighs quite a lot, and a 16" mirror is usually quite heavy. Two would be very heavy, and would be a lot harder to transport as they would be set side by side.

+1 for binoviewer. I still use mono a lot of the time but the bino can make for more relaxed viewing and a 3D look. The sun in white light through binos can be amazing :) You need to take care that you will be able to reach focus with your telescope, so a bit of research is needed before taking the plunge.

Archived