Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon

supernova65

been waitin days for a clear night and finally Just seen my first moon thro a scope ...............................................................................WOW.

went through all my ep,s,,,,, about 5 times!!!  couldnt get enough..

I really need to get some sort of image capture eqpt ..

cant wait for the other planets to start showin their faces   (shame they wont reveal the same detail,)

ooh ,, looks like another gap in the clouds aproachin so im off outside.

Clear Skies all ,,,, bring on the winter months

Ian

Ian

Jupiter will show lots of detail, but on a much smaller scale. Depending on your scope, you will see cloud bands, GRS transits, barges, moon arrangements, shadow transits. I love observing Jupiter. It changes greatly even over the course of an observing session!

Barry

Ian

Jupiter will show lots of detail, but on a much smaller scale. Depending on your scope, you will see cloud bands, GRS transits, barges, moon arrangements, shadow transits. I love observing Jupiter. It changes greatly even over the course of an observing session!

Barry

I agree with you both.

Jupiter is brill esp with its moons around it.

My favourite is our moon, it loves magnification and there is so much to see :smiley:  I never get bored of it

been waitin days for a clear night and finally Just seen my first moon thro a scope ...............................................................................WOW.

went through all my ep,s,,,,, about 5 times!!!  couldnt get enough..

I really need to get some sort of image capture eqpt ..

cant wait for the other planets to start showin their faces   (shame they wont reveal the same detail,)

ooh ,, looks like another gap in the clouds aproachin so im off outside.

Clear Skies all ,,,, bring on the winter months

Ian

I'm still waiting to see Jupiter myself,  I am saving it for a really clear night rather than the hazy ones I've had over my way recently.

I can relate to your excitement, I find myself peering skywards out the window and muttering darkly quite often since I bought my scope.

The moon give me my first real astro wow. It went from being a silver pretty disc in the sky to being a rocky sphere. I was using a low mag eyepiece so got the whole moon in one shot. You could still see a fair amount of detail and it was instantly clear you are looking at a different planet         (though I know it is not a planet!)

It's good to love the moon, when it's up it doesn't really help much else be viewed apart from other planets.  I personally love the moon!  It's a stark contrast to DSO hunting.   It can be just as frustrating to view though, if not more so, if you ar elooking for specific objects on it as you need to time your observation with the terminator line and those are generally only in place for a few hours one day per month so you really need to the weather to be playing ball.

First clear night for week or so and was plagued with Moonlight, so decided to capture this moon shot...........

Skywatcher 190MN on NEQ6, Fuji X-Pro with X-Mount to Canon EOS Adaptor and Canon 1.4TC. Shot at 1/1200s - ISO 800. Raw processed in Capture One Pro 7, sharpened and converted to full size jpeg in CS6.

• 2 weeks later...

Being new to astronomy myself I have also fallen instantly for the moon. I first viewed it last month via my own scope and lost all track of time. A family member brought round some of his Meade zoom ep's and I couldn't believe how much detail I could see. I am going to get myself a few more ep's and filters to get the best possible views of the big white one. I intend to map out the moon myself and I am currently using the Virtual Moon Map to try and learn the regions.

Today the moon is out in the day until around 4:30pm UK time.. I am sat here now with the scope set up awaiting the cloud to vanish..

Through my cousins scope I have seen Saturn via a 130 Skywatcher and could clearly see the ring band and the moons/satalites as black dots moving across the surface.. The future is going to be amazing ..

First clear night for week or so and was plagued with Moonlight, so decided to capture this moon shot...........

Skywatcher 190MN on NEQ6, Fuji X-Pro with X-Mount to Canon EOS Adaptor and Canon 1.4TC. Shot at 1/1200s - ISO 800. Raw processed in Capture One Pro 7, sharpened and converted to full size jpeg in CS6.

Forgot to Quote on my post.... Amazing pic that Gtech mate.. :biggrin:

Daz

The moon can be lovely, and it's always a crowd pleaser at public outreach events. Seeing the craters and mountains in great detail is always awe inspiring. It can be a pain when you are hunting for faint fuzzies, and it is not as changeful as the planets (particularly Jupiter) so I got a bit bored of it after a while. I started liking it more since I began hunting Lunar 100 features. It is not so much ticking of numbers on the list but the hunt for specific features of different origins that makes it a challenge. It is also a good way of improving your observing skills.

I am still more of a DSO hunter, though, so there are times I really really do not like it.

I am currently looking at the specific regions of the moon myself, I have started with the Mare Crisium region and specificly the Picard and Peirce crators.  I have seen the Lunar 100 files on the forum so will get round to hunting them down myself at some point in the near future. I agree that after a while I will proberbly get bored but as its all new its still amazing for me.

Daz

Archived