NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to show a friend tonight?

AndyWB

So, a friend of mine has asked me to show her a little of what's in the night sky, but I'm finding it a little tricky; the moon is fairly full and will be up all evening, and 'cos of that I don't intend driving out into the wilds, so this will be under light pollution too.

I'm wondering what people might recommend? I've a fairly limited view, mostly south, and not very low (trees), so I was thinking:

- M57 Ring Nebula

- Albireo

- Double Cluster

- M13 Great Globular Cluster if I can get it

- The Moon (it might be a problem, but also an opportunity!)

- M15

- Cassiopeia open clusters

... but beyond that, I'm short on good ideas. The planets aren't well placed; I'm sure I might get Uranus or Neptune but... they lack 'wow'.

Anyone have any other good ideas for tonight with a 130mm reflector?

I always find the moon wows people at first, if you try not to Jump in with the highest mag but take about 3 stages the effect on people is quite consuming.

Another fun item is the blinking pan and I am sure you will be able catch this even with the moon about.

Alberio, the double double, and the double cluster are lovely and if your staying up late the Orion nebula :grin:

Maybe a pair of Binos wouldn't, go a miss just to see the volume of stars that pop out at you.

PS don't forget the red wine cluster :grin:

Hiya Andy, I was out last night and found the Moon had washed out - to a given degree - many of the DSOs I was hunting out in the south and tonight I fear it's going to be a little worse. In fact, I was planning another trip out to the dark lands this evening but after last night have decided to give it a rest. Nevertheless, if you stick around the north, east area you should be okay-ish. If you're up for an early morning, Jupiter is an amazing site and although terribly positioned Mars is also fun to watch.

I'd definitely say the Moon. If you are out fast enough, Saturn is a good target, perhaps along with Venus. Albireo, the double cluster and M13 should be good, but, with the Moon in view, I'm not sure if the Ring may be a bit faint - On a full Moon night, I had a job getting it in my 200p. The Wild Ducks cluster is a treat, if it isn't too low too. The Andromeda galaxy should be ngood too, particularly when you tell them it will collide with us. Also, if you are up late enough (A bit before 11PM), the Pleiades will be quite nice. Obviously, if you had all night, M42/43, Jupiter, Mars, the Auriga clusters and many others would be nice.

David

As well as M57 you have the double double, you also have the constellation of Lyra itself, basically point out the constellation - note Vega. Have in the back of your mind what M57 is and how it came about.

With Albereio comes Cygnus, tell her where the 3 nebula are but explain that they are swamped by the moon and faint in any case, point out Deneb.

With Vega and Deneb comes Altair and that makes up the Summer Triangle. - not a recognised constellation but an asterism.

The standard Plough, pointers to Polaris and how the handle if followed round locates Arcturus. Big orange thingy. Not visible but say how the pointers if you go the other way lead to Leo..

You mention the double cluster, show her how it is located from Casseiopia.

Basically throw in a bit of education and information. I am guessing that as she has asked it could be a case of a bit more then just looking at one thing then moving to the next that is wanted.

Have you a GLP ?

Thanks guys, good suggestions there. Yup, I was going to do a bit more than just show things, but to talk about them too - that's just how I roll. No laser pointer, though - too near Heathrow, there are a lot of planes up there.

The Double double is a good idea, and Andromeda, even if it isn't under great conditions - the concept still has wow-factor.

Wild ducks might work too, if the promised clear sky does finally appear. Beginning to doubt forecast.

Thanks for the suggestions; we had a look at:

- The Moon, which elicited wows and excitement all by itself.

- Albireo, which got a 'oo, pretty'

- The Ring Neb - wasn't in great condition, but we could see the ring in AV

- M15 - fuzzy example of a glob.

- Double cluster, which looked good

- Andromeda Galaxy. We could only make out the core, but the distance had a 'wow' factor.

Conditions were poor - LP and a haze in the sky, and a bright moon. I may have complained about how bright it was too much; I now owe a night observing somewhere dark. First, I need to sort out the problems I've got with my secondary dewing up.

Archived