NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decisions, decisions......

Blazar

Gents,

I have now saved enough for a new mount (well from next month), and wanted your thoughts. I hve the option of going for a NEQ6 pro or the HEQ5 (synscans). I have not had the pleasure of attending one of the dark sites listed and frequented by this social group, but my choice of mount may preclude me from ever getting out if its too heavy to lug around.

The thinking behind the NEQ6 was that it would future proof me from a mount perspective if i ever got into imaging properly, though its down side seems to be the weight, as well as some poeple having issues with the bolts on one of the axis.

The HEQ5 whilst still on the heavy side is not a bad choice, but people who have brought this have then gone ahead and upgraded (eventually) t the NEQ.

The limits for both are quite high in terms of payload capacity...which then leads onto the next conundrum. I had planned to go for another planetry scope (SW 180Mak), yet I am now looking at the 190MN (makNewt). both are good at what they do, and I know the guys with the 150's & 127's (Knobby & ILove1995) are very happy with them.

I think getting the mount right is the key here though. Whatever sits on it will be good (even the TAL's),,,,

Cheers for your thoughts.....

In retrospect, I'd probably have gone for an NEQ6 over the HEQ5.

I'd really like to buy a carbon-fibre 8" Newt Astrograph to replace my 6", but I think that will be too much for the HEQ5.

Weight-wise the HEQ5 is just fine, so I reckon I'd probably be able to lug an NEQ6 about.

Anton

I have a HEQ5 and though I love it and it works perfect for my light weight setup I will have to upgrade if I ever want to upgrade my kit. The difference in weight is really not that much and if your lugging around the HEQ5 then you'll lug around NEQ6. If your wanting to get the 190MN the HEQ5 will handle it for visual but if you ever want to image with it, which its a great scope to image with, you will be wanting the NEQ6.

personally i dont find the 25KG head of the NEQ6 that heavy.im moving house soon so my OBS has to come down and until spring im going to have be portable until my new OBSY is ready in my new house, the HEQ5 pro is very portable, hell i reckon i could stick it in my ruck sack and hike up snowdonia :D but your if looking at the MN190 i would get the NEQ6 its a heavy scope and the NEQ6 would do the job plus if you want that 180 MAK in the future you will have no worries wondering if the HEQ5 will handle it ok. BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER!! :p

I've just gone and bought myself a second hand Celestron C8 SCT and was thinking of getting an HEQ5 but after reading this thread I'm starting to have seconds thoughts. Perhaps the NEQ6 is the way to go though I have heard that the HEQ5 tracks better. :icon_scratch:

Thanks gents. Always good to get other people's opinions and experience . The scope Will have to wait till next year,so the Tals will have to use it first. Plus gives me this winter to lug it about for fun...and meet up with the Dodgers :-)

I have the HEQ5 Pro and its not that heavy at all - although I would seriously consider going heavier and more stable - if your budget stretches to the NEQ6 then I' say go for it. The HEQ5 is sturdy, but the advertised weights it can handle really are at the top end of the scale and don't factor in a slight breeze - I use a SW 8" newt and thats fine, but add a DSLR and a few bits and pieces and you are pretty close to the comfort zone the mount can handle.  In terms of weight, I can move the HEQ5 with tripod & scope around relatively easily, I reckon a 25meter lift is easily doable and as Knobby says, to transport it you would break it down to its component parts anyway - I daresay the NEQ6 comes in a little heftier, but certainly not that bad for a fit young fella like yourself.

Basically - MTFU  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I went to vegas....and spent a bit more than really was needed...so just sorting that out. Got the cash for the mount still, but having second thoughts (again). If I am serious about if then I need this to start the imaging rig (and full proof it).Need to plan for the power requirements as well, so a bit more cash.....

Off out the country again next week for a couple of weeks....the thing is I would like the 190MN to go on top, and there is a bundle deal at FLO which works out about £50 cheaper, so might be best to wait until I have all monies available (though if I did purchase now, I could get familiar with it prior to the new scope arrival).

probabaly best to have a chat about it Knobby.....

I'll be selling my HEQ5 Pro Synscan as soon as I manage to find an NEQ6.

I just missed out on one yesterday.

PM me if you are interested, it's about 14 months old, stripped down serviced and regreased for better tracking and has upgraded Alt bolts.

Anton

Archived