Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just ordered my first big binos!

dezzie

Well after selling my mak 127 goto today I have been reading and soaking as much info on big binos as possible, so took the plunge and ordered the helios quantum 4 25x100s, I cant wait to try them out, all I need now is a beefy portable tripod to be able to handle them then maybe some sort of mount for gazing from a chair in comfort that I can put in the car and take with me on group nights out if I can find one that's not ridiculous money!

Just bought that sky at night mag with the plans for bino mounts, its looks really nice and solid so think al go down that route and build it, be a lot cheaper than what I have seen to buy and more pride in making it myself, plus I can customise it to suit me and possibly add more attachments to it like a small guide etc!

Have the plans on pdf, looking at it they use a 2 litre pop bottle filled wit hwater as the counterbalance weight, wondering if that would be heavy enough so might have to modded to suit the weight of mine!

Good choice with the q4's. very pleased with mine . The only downside is as you guess ,weight. I have a Hama tripod rated at 5kilo load , and it feels a just about capable with 'em . I find I need some sort of spacer to go on the bottom of the pillar mount to allow the I.P.D. to close up sufficiently ,the barrels foul the mounting plate when closed up together , so bear that in mind . The Hama tripod is a Gamma 74. I place a lawn chair between the legs of the 'pod , and sit close to it , and it is workable . Last weekend ,got a good pike at Andromeda , no problem , and just now , it looks to be clearing nicely ,so I'll get them out into the back yard and see what's up . I don't think you will regret buying them, they're a great convenient grab ' n ' go proposition along with a 'pod . You can always add a p-mount later if your 'pod has a detachable head .

thinking a surveyor tripod/theodolite stand would be good with a p mount fitted, anyone done this and have an idea I could incorporate the sky at night p mount plan with said tripod as these look more versatile for uneven surfaces and can spread out a lot wider so should be a super stable base?

Archived