NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Somebody stop me!

Well, I've been on the market for a new(er) scope all year.

Plan A was to get a good secondhand SCT with a full complement of bells and whistles.

I've been watching a lot of Meade 8" and 10" Lx200's come and go on e.bay but none within practical driving distance. There have been some real nice ones going for good prices too.

Now the darker night are here are I'm still looking. I don't want to spend all winter looking at rather than looking through a new scope!

Looking at FLO website I'm quite taken by the S/W 190MN Mac Newt :http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov-newtonian/skywatcher-190mn-neq6-pro.html

It gets good reviews here on SGL and those reviews carry a lot of weight!

But I worry about 7.5" not being much of a shove-up from Ye Olde 6.25 Newt. I almost feel I'd be as well just bunging my existing scope on a decent mount!

So then I get the aperture bug: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-300p-ds-neq6-pro.html :shocked: :shocked:

My intention is for visual observing mostly with a bit of imaging (maybe).

I see that the 12" newt is a bit of a handful even on that NEQ6 Pro mount. But the child inside me is very persuasive!!

I'm thinking of popping down to Opticstar in Manchester to have a look at some of these modern scopes and mounts first hand but that's being sensible and my inner child doesn't like sensible :D

Oh look, I'm not even sure what the question is now. Life was so much simpler when there was only the Fullerscopes brochure to thumb through!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think trying to combine imaging and visual setups is difficult.

The problem is that for imaging you will need an EQ mount. But for visual you want big aperture. And when you combine big tube with an EQ mount you get... a monster telescope! Both in terms of size and difficulty to move and setup.

I think you either need to settle for a smaller EQ setup (6" or 8") which can do both visual and imaging, or buy a nice big (10" or 12") Dob for visual, have a separate rig for imaging.

The latter option is the best in my view. Everytime I set up my 'little' 150P and EQ5 for visual, I think with less setup effort I could be using a 10 inch Dob and seeing more detail with my eyes.

Nothing against Dob's. In fact Ye Olde Fullerscope may well find itself undergoing Dodsonification. That would be handy for popping up to our dark sky getaway in Cumbrishire. As would the MN190. as would a nice SCT...

I get what you say about the 12" Newtonian. The few reviews I've found have been mixed but none have claimed it to be a rock solid set-up on that mount.

Oh dear, there was me thinking I was asking a narrower question than "What scope should I get?" :D

Maybe I'm trying to convince myself that the MN190 would be so optically superior to my existing David Hinds optics that it'd blow me away. But that's a long shot!

The same maybe applies to any of the 8" newtonians?

I think I'm settled on the NEQ6 Pro as a minimum spec mount. I really like the idea of using Sky Safari for driving GoTo on a good solid mount.

Or how about a 10" LX200?

Hmmmm....

I think you either need to settle for a smaller EQ setup (6" or 8") which can do both visual and imaging, or buy a nice big (10" or 12") Dob for visual, have a separate rig for imaging.

See, this is where the MN190 ticks a lot of boxes!

I think even with a big Dob I'd still want some tracking ability. I'm done with the old "nudge nudge" business!

The MN190 has a very flat field and really is an image'rs scope, it weighs a lot too and would need a very solid mount to support it.

If the majority of your use is going to be visual then go for a larger newt on a good mount or your SCT which will have its own mount and can be used for photog.

You see quite a lot of 12" Newts on EQ mounts or just the tubes, for sale, often with a rather "low mileage" on them I suspect. Having seen one or two I'd certainly not choose that route to get 12" of aperture.

My choice was the dob route but I don't image. If I did I'd get another scope / mount setup for that purpose.

Best of luck with the your hunt for the right telescope for you!

How important is portability? Will this scope be moved around or in your observatory?

Andy

Portability is bigish factor. The scope, whatever it is, will be living in the integral garage and get set up in the back yard or taken to our caravan in the car. Considering that the Labradoodle takes up the boot it won't leave a lot of space for scopes plus usual weekend away paraphernalia on the back seats.... Right so that's the 12" Newt out the window!

I could put the Dog/Wife/Both in a roof box but there might be laws against that...

In years to come we'll be downsizing our house and star gazing will be a factor in where we go next. But until then my preferred observing site would be 73 miles away in Cumbrishire!

I'm drooling at the idea of seeing those dark skies through a big aperture but it's a balancing act.

If I'm honest my back isn't what it used to be and it's never been brilliant. But my inner child will sulk if it doesn't get aperture and goto :)

Even just looking at a 12" newt on a NEQ6 makes me think it's an accident waiting to happen. Unless you're really sure you want to do some DSO imaging then based on what you've posted I'd say that a GOTO flextube dob would be the way to go.

James

Even just looking at a 12" newt on a NEQ6 makes me think it's an accident waiting to happen. Unless you're really sure you want to do some DSO imaging then based on what you've posted I'd say that a GOTO flextube dob would be the way to go.

James

I knew someone would say that :)

So now how do you stop me going for the 16" flextube goto?

I was trying to limit my aperture fever to 12" :D

I've read a few reviews of the SW Flextube Goto's and unless they've been refined the mechanics they're a bit hit and miss :(

I think my fantasy scope would be a CAT of some type. Heck, even (in retrospect) a C8... C9.25 even. But the bigger ones are a bit long in focal length. If money were no object, a Russian 7" F10 MAK with better quality mirror. If I wanted to look at DSOs or image, I have a video cam anyway. I note things like Ritchy-Cretiens work at F8. Same focal length for 10" scope... But 30lb odd, is beyond my limits, whatever the cost! :p

James

I agree. Looking at my 10" Dob is enough to say "that's going to be one huge challenge to image with". The ED80 and HEQ-5 or NEQ-6 is a tried and tested combination, why make it harder for yourself? :)

Having heard a tale of a cracked modern fork mounting I have no problem with the over-engineered build of my ye olde 8.5"+MkIII Fullerscope Newt. & using a sack barrow to move it around the garden avoiding a big tree & nearby buildings. For real portability from eBay I picked up 4" Refractor on a MkIII with eyepieces to (nearly) complete my set of ye olde Fullerscope Orthoscopics. For ultimate portability, it's Liebermann & Gortz 12x65 Binos. With three Norton's Star Atlases of varying ages the Astronomy of the 1970s well and truly lives on in my garden!

I agree. Looking at my 10" Dob is enough to say "that's going to be one huge challenge to image with". The ED80 and HEQ-5 or NEQ-6 is a tried and tested combination, why make it harder for yourself? :)

80mm? you say 80mm!! :eek:

I want aperture! :D

Having heard a tale of a cracked modern fork mounting I have no problem with the over-engineered build of my ye olde 8.5"+MkIII Fullerscope Newt. & using a sack barrow to move it around the garden avoiding a big tree & nearby buildings. For real portability from eBay I picked up 4" Refractor on a MkIII with eyepieces to (nearly) complete my set of ye olde Fullerscope Orthoscopics. For ultimate portability, it's Liebermann & Gortz 12x65 Binos. With three Norton's Star Atlases of varying ages the Astronomy of the 1970s well and truly lives on in my garden!

That's proper astronomy, that is!

And them Mk111 mounts are proper GoTo too. GoTo the chiropractor... :grin:

I had a 10 inch LX200 and still have the OTA. They are OK but I found it limiting, and utimately a bit boring, because of the long focal length. This excluded the wider fields which I enjoy so much. We have a 20 inch Dob with a wider field of view and four times the light! For the smaller targets and for doubles the fork SCT is good but they are big devils to move about. I took one to Spain in the car once. Not twice...

I wouldn't bank on getting much joy out of an LX200 for deep sky imaging. The failure rate amongst those who try is high. I'm sure this explains the plentiful supply of cheap used ones.

Olly

Here's a thought:

80mm ED and HEQ-5 (2nd hand).

10"+ Dob.

Job done :D.

This would be a good way to unload the dosh! Personally I like 80 mm or so for deep sky imaging.

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-rNfQT5R/0/X3/M42%20WIDE%202FLsV3-X3.jpg

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-SVkkwzW/0/X3/ROSETTE%20FIN3WEB-X3.jpg

Olly

The goto on my 400p flextube is very good. One reviewer said himself that he did not level the mount. That's step 1 in the instructions! :D... Objects are nomally in the field of view with mine at 200x mag if I level it properly, which is better than I expected for a large budget dob.

Here's a thought:

80mm ED and HEQ-5 (2nd hand).

10"+ Dob.

Job done :D.

Let's not start that game. I've had to decorate a bedroom to earn the pink pass to make one purchase.

The MD will be expecting that new kitchen the way you are spending my money :D

This would be a good way to unload the dosh! Personally I like 80 mm or so for deep sky imaging.

http://ollypenrice.s...E 2FLsV3-X3.jpg

http://ollypenrice.s... FIN3WEB-X3.jpg

Olly

Errr. With all due respect Olly I think those images are more a showcase of your personal talent than a demonstration of what I could do with any particular telescope/camera :wink:

The goto on my 400p flextube is very good. One reviewer said himself that he did not level the mount. That's step 1 in the instructions! :D... Objects are nomally in the field of view with mine at 200x mag if I level it properly, which is better than I expected for a large budget dob.

Please don't taunt me with talk of 400mm! I'm trying to exercise self control :D

Let's not start that game. I've had to decorate a bedroom to earn the pink pass to make one purchase.

The MD will be expecting that new kitchen the way you are spending my money :D

Cost of 10" dob 2nd hand ~ £250 - £300

Cost of 80mm ED 2nd hand ~ £300

Cost of HEQ-5 2nd hand ~ £500

Total: ~£1050 - £1100

Cost of 12" dob 2nd hand ~ £450?

Cost of NEQ-6 2nd hand ~ £700

Total: ~£1150

Perhaps I'm saving you some money ;).

Hmmm...250P DS on a NEQ6 gets some mixed reviews here on SGL.

Certainly not as unwieldy as a 300 and considerable more light gathering power than a 200.

I'll phone Opticstar in Mancunia on the 'morrow and see what they have in the show room. I have to attend Bolton Uni Mon to Thur next week. It's only half an hour away from there. Hopefully I'll get out of class early on a couple of those days at least.

One reply suggests 10+ inch Dob. As the owner of 8.6 in, 10 in, 12 in, and 16 in Dobs, I would say go for 10" but not larger as they then become difficult to move around regardless of design......unless you go for a premium maker.

Andy

I telecommunicated with Opticstar today,

They don't have any of the big Newt's in the showroom but have the full range of SW mounts.

The largest Newt currently in store is the 200mm.

Still worth a trip over there for a bit of tactile therapy :)

Archived