Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Ethos

jetstream

Well I couldn't pass up the deal on a new 17mm Ethos,370 pounds free shipping :grin: ,anybody have experience with one of these?It will be great for the 10" Dob,with 7.5mm more field stop than my 16mm t5,and at about 1.5lbs the Ethos will be in the balance ballpark for the VX10,with the friction brake.Now for a 12mm or 13mm something.She'll be here by Monday. :icon_biggrin:

congrats Gerry, I love 'em! ...now where's that first light report!?

Oh man! :cry: Storms and rain most of the time here for now,but then it will clear up "JUST LIKE THAT"!Crystal clear,then I go running up to the sites to view & am amazed over & over again.went driving today in the rain & found probably the best site yet,but it is aways up there.So the Dob should be here soon,OOUK have been great with me & am really looking forward to more aperture.I still want a Dob with wheelbarrow handles-I"m jealous!So first light soon!! :laugh:

I didn't recognise you with the new Icon, congrats on the purchase :smiley:

Thanks Shaun,I have been waiting for a while.....I almost missed the sale!On for a few more days.....13mm Ethos @ $492.00 US,very tempting!Ya my new Icon,I flew briefly & my flight instructor just kept hammering a few things in my head......one of them he called "jet stream",actually wing tip vortices,& Umm,well....I followed a 727 in a little too close &..... :icon_shaking: .But all was well,I landed great-under the circumstances.I never thought old Harold,my flight instrutor & P51 Ace could be that scared....or mad!Then I discovered a thing called wind shear-and quit

Great price, looking forward to the first light. Had a crazy idea about one of these after I aquire a 13mm Ethos instead of the 17.3mm Delos I had originally planned.

I sold my 13mm and 16mm Naglers when I got my 13mm Ethos. I can't see why you would need the 17.3mm Delos if you get the 13mm Ethos. I go straight from 13mm to 20mm and don't miss a step in the middle at all.

Thanks Shaun,I have been waiting for a while.....I almost missed the sale!On for a few more days.....13mm Ethos @ $492.00 US,very tempting!Ya my new Icon,I flew briefly & my flight instructor just kept hammering a few things in my head......one of them he called "jet stream",actually wing tip vortices,& Umm,well....I followed a 727 in a little too close &..... :icon_shaking: .But all was well,I landed great-under the circumstances.I never thought old Harold,my flight instrutor & P51 Ace could be that scared....or mad!Then I discovered a thing called wind shear-and quit

You are brave to fly a plane I am completely petrified of flying :grin:

Maybe just maybe being the pilot might make it ok, but for me I doubt this very much indeed :grin:

I wouldn't be able to go into space even though I love astronomy

Congratulations on your 17mm Ethos, you know how to hurt a man i paid more than that for my secondhand one. It is a great eyepiece and performs excellent in all my scopes but I don't have a fast Dob to let you know about. You wouldn't run home crying with it's rendition of the sky in my fairly fast M/N 190mm. I hope you enjoy it, 13mm next?

Alan

Nicely done Gerry, that is a super eyepiece.

We were lucky enough to have a look through Calvin's 21mm Ethos on sat (using my F4.5 16" lightbridge) and I was blown away with how good it was, so much so that I've now purchased one!!

It took a bit of getting used to, i.e. where to place your eye to get the best effect, but once you got used to it, wow!!!

The veil for me in particular was stunning, it stretched from one edge to the other, surrounded by a mass of stars!

It was like looking at a wide screen TV close up, every direction you looked there were stars or nebula.

There was a little coma right at the edge on my F4.5 but nothing really noticeable for me and nothing a paracorr wouldn't sort (but to be honest is was so small I'm not too fussed at mo).

Given the prices of these at the mo, it's a great buy, hope you get a clear night soon to try it!!!

Congratulations on your 17mm Ethos, you know how to hurt a man i paid more than that for my secondhand one. It is a great eyepiece and performs excellent in all my scopes but I don't have a fast Dob to let you know about. You wouldn't run home crying with it's rendition of the sky in my fairly fast M/N 190mm. I hope you enjoy it, 13mm next?

Alan

Hi Alan!I hope that you are all healed up now back in action.I just couldn't pass up the deal & the 13mm is cheaper yet.The 17mm will meet my needs @1200mmFl & F4.8 for filter use and a wide range of other objects.I just got back right now from an excellent session,I'll start another thread on that.I'm not sure yet on the 13mm Ethos,I'm still deciding which way to go 12mmt4 Nagler,13mm Ethos or a 12mm Delos....your thoughts?I bet your M/N 190 is fantastic!As are all your other telescopes!Hey if you ever want to unload the APM 115,just let me know! :wink:

We were lucky enough to have a look through Calvin's 21mm Ethos on sat (using my F4.5 16" lightbridge) and I was blown away with how good it was, so much so that I've now purchased one!!

It took a bit of getting used to, i.e. where to place your eye to get the best effect, but once you got used to it, wow!!!

The veil for me in particular was stunning, it stretched from one edge to the other, surrounded by a mass of stars!

It was like looking at a wide screen TV close up, every direction you looked there were stars or nebula.

There was a little coma right at the edge on my F4.5 but nothing really noticeable for me and nothing a paracorr wouldn't sort (but to be honest is was so small I'm not too fussed at mo).

Given the prices of these at the mo, it's a great buy, hope you get a clear night soon to try it!!!

Thanks Simon,I bet the view in that great scope of yours was unreal!Thats what I love, the wow moments :grin:.And congratulations to you on your 21mm Ethos!Mine will be here Friday or Monday,can't wait.

Hi Alan!I hope that you are all healed up now back in action.I just couldn't pass up the deal & the 13mm is cheaper yet.The 17mm will meet my needs @1200mmFl & F4.8 for filter use and a wide range of other objects.I just got back right now from an excellent session,I'll start another thread on that.I'm not sure yet on the 13mm Ethos,I'm still deciding which way to go 12mmt4 Nagler,13mm Ethos or a 12mm Delos....your thoughts?I bet your M/N 190 is fantastic!As are all your other telescopes!Hey if you ever want to unload the APM 115,just let me know! :wink:

I used to use my Ethos's in an Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 and they worked excellently. Any edge distortion of stars will be down to coma from the scope rather than any eyepiece aberration.

I bought the 13mm Ethos first and when I came to think about the next step up I figured that 17mm would be too closely spaced so I was quite happy to skip to 20mm / 22mm which were Naglers initially but now I use an ES 20mm / 100 in that niche.

I guess what I'm saying is that 12mm / 13mm might not be quite such an important niche for you, now you own the 17mm Ethos. Maybe something around 10mm would be a better investment ?.

Gerry,

Almost back to fighting fit but now have a bad cold. I normally get one a year so I can't grumble. I think it was my own fault, we have a 14 foot pool outside one of the reasonable quality flex side ones. We also have a water shortage so I went for a dip to cool off and also clean myself off a bit, the pool was only 22 degrees after a coldish night. It was a quick dip believe me.

Eyepieces, I have the 13mm Ethos and the 12mm Nagler but I think I would go for the 12mm Delos, if you are staying at or very near that focal length. I would also pay careful attention to Johns point of going for something around 10mm, and then I would go for the Delos even though I have the Ethos. I think now I have used it a good deal I was more in love with the 10mm Delos, I may get another

one.

As for the APM, it is very well made and sharp as a knife but the Chinese ones are not that bad for the money, it is only on things like Venus where I could see an obvious difference. My friend has the 115mm version the same as Altair do in England, I brt you can buy the same in Canada. We had the two side by side and the only thing that really stands them apart is build quality, the APM is fabulous.

Alan

...do you know I got home on sunday and went to bed....had that veil view in my head..was simply gobsmacking!

I used to use my Ethos's in an Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 and they worked excellently. Any edge distortion of stars will be down to coma from the scope rather than any eyepiece aberration.

I bought the 13mm Ethos first and when I came to think about the next step up I figured that 17mm would be too closely spaced so I was quite happy to skip to 20mm / 22mm which were Naglers initially but now I use an ES 20mm / 100 in that niche.

I guess what I'm saying is that 12mm / 13mm might not be quite such an important niche for you, now you own the 17mm Ethos. Maybe something around 10mm would be a better investment ?.

Thanks for advice John ! :smiley: I was pondering the 17mmvs 21mm and the 10mm vs 12mm/13mm issue.I just have to try my 23mm Luminos as the widest field EP in the 10",if it doesn't work I may opt for something Naglerish for the Dob & refractor.The 17mm Ethos is a bit lighter than the 21mm....I have decided on a pet peeve,which is huge eyepiece weight differences.The 17mm will be within 1/2 lb of my Delos and Luminos & the 17mm specs should work well with OIII in both light and dark skies.In the 10" the exit pupil will be very close to what my 23mm is in the 90mm,and I consider around 3.5mm exit about the highest I like.

I hope that my new Ethos gives me what my little 16mm Nagler does.Last night this little thing was so good,you wouldn't believe it-I spent almost all night with it & saw the wisp again,but the North American Neb was excellent.....boy the fall skies make a huge difference! :grin: And so does that 16mm t5,but it is light and short-perfect for the frac.So the 2mm exit is s sweet spot for me too-anything less and DARK sky views of DSO are compromised,and this is what a 10mm Delos will give me at f4.8.

So John,thanks for helping me make up my mind :icon_salut: -10mm Delos it is!(when I get some more money-time to go see if I have another Jam jar buried in the yard :evil6: )

I think on this I can speak for John as well we like helping others spend their money on well chosen eyepieces, and for me Telvue is a quality product that is difficult to better. The 10mm is a cracker, wish I had kept mine.

Alan.

I still need some very advanced advice on "sneaking stuff in the house"!!Honestly I have been watching "quietly" :bino2: you guys eyepieces,and,well maybe figuring out their specs in your scopes,and,well,maybe copying a bit,eg-Johns 20 ES100,specs out @1600mmFl about the same as my 17mmEthos in the 1200fl VX10.John I hope it is Ok with you on this,it is REALLY helping-the 90 is showing so much,but the thanks go to those who helped me out.Like the Astronomik OIII,man,what a recommendation,the transformation on some objects is incredible, NGC7000 last night was right there,right there in my face-no BS and it is so huge,with the edges so well defined.And thank you Alan,for answering so many questions-and giving very sound answers,just like on the topic at hand.I believe in honest observing reports,myself I only tell what I see and what you guys taught me to do is unreal with a 90mm refractor.Thank you vey much :icon_salut:

Gerry,

It sounds like you are well into the hobby. I must try my Olll filter I bought while I was in England, sort of forgot about it. I have just about finished the notes on the head to head between the 26mm Nagler and the 24mm Meadee so I will try and write the report. I am also trying to get a roof put on an out building and electrics into it, somewhere to stay when I get thrown out.

The forecast is for rain today and tomorrow so maybe there is a chance there, but the forecaster do it from the pub and never come out I think, they really are rubbish. You can watch three different forecasts and get three different forecasts in this place. If it anything to go by, I got up at 05.30 and it was a wall to wall clear clean sky without a cloud, visibility rigth down to the tops of the mountains.

I am sure the eyepiece you are going for will serve you well in any scope you have or may well get in the future, just try not to get to carried away with them like me, I have gone somwhat over the top.

Alan.

Gerry,

It sounds like you are well into the hobby. I must try my Olll filter I bought while I was in England, sort of forgot about it. I have just about finished the notes on the head to head between the 26mm Nagler and the 24mm Meadee so I will try and write the report. I am also trying to get a roof put on an out building and electrics into it, somewhere to stay when I get thrown out.

The forecast is for rain today and tomorrow so maybe there is a chance there, but the forecaster do it from the pub and never come out I think, they really are rubbish. You can watch three different forecasts and get three different forecasts in this place. If it anything to go by, I got up at 05.30 and it was a wall to wall clear clean sky without a cloud, visibility rigth down to the tops of the mountains.

I am sure the eyepiece you are going for will serve you well in any scope you have or may well get in the future, just try not to get to carried away with them like me, I have gone somwhat over the top.

Alan.

I'm cleaning out the shed for "emergency"use-I hope its a warm winter!Alan you have fun with your excellent optics and also writing great reports on them.Your eyepiece reports are highly regarded and I feel lucky that I can get accurate information about the TV's.I don't consider that you have gone over the top-you like excellent optics,trying different optics,testing them & viewing with them-that sounds rewarding and a lot of fun to me!So about that 10mm.....!

Archived