NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oooh, I like this...

JamesF

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It rained a lot yesterday but was clear last night. Was so humid because the ground was wet the scope was dripping in less than 45 minutes. As I only had the 6" out because I don't like getting my dob base wet on the grass, I came in.

I've found I've viewed the current sky to death in the last few weeks. Need auriga and orion to roll around now :) might be my own fault not making a plan before I go out. I'm sure there is plenty to see at the moment that I haven't already seen.

It's odd not having a major planet to look at the last month. Never really thought of myself as a planetary man but not having one to mix things up really is noticeable. Been some great nights lately to view planets and they were completely wasted. Looking forward to Jupiter's return. I've upgraded a lot since last we met.

It rained a lot yesterday but was clear last night. Was so humid because the ground was wet the scope was dripping in less than 45 minutes. As I only had the 6" out because I don't like getting my dob base wet on the grass, I came in.

I've found I've viewed the current sky to death in the last few weeks. Need auriga and orion to roll around now :) might be my own fault not making a plan before I go out. I'm sure there is plenty to see at the moment that I haven't already seen.

It's odd not having a major planet to look at the last month. Never really thought of myself as a planetary man but not having one to mix things up really is noticeable. Been some great nights lately to view planets and they were completely wasted. Looking forward to Jupiter's return. I've upgraded a lot since last we met.

Hear, hear!! I could have written this post! I usually target S and E but thought I go for N and W for a change. Had a great night.

Barry

How odd. You really can't be too far away in a straight line (it's less than 30 miles to Cardiff from here), but the wind is really gusting here yet it's not really chilly at all.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Whilst I was checking the incoming cloud and feeling slightly awestruck by the delights of Taurus just now I saw three meteors in the space of as many seconds. So I can go to bed content even if the promise of a long night has been stolen from me.

James

I'm across the water from you and found it rather warm as well but very little wind. I was in a sheltered position though. I also spotted a very bright meteor heading south from Cassiopeia shortly before 12.

A beautiful ly clear night with some of the best detail I've observed this year. I even managed M30 - a new Messier for me -despite it being so low in the LP to my south. A good night!

Was so humid because the ground was wet the scope was dripping in less than 45 minutes. As I only had the 6" out because I don't like getting my dob base wet on the grass, I came in.

Heavy dew forced my son and I to pack up early last night. :sad: We were at our local darkish site up in the hills above my home. Very clear if a bit breezy to begin with. Breeze soon dropped, ideal conditions now, or so we thought.... in less than an hour everything was soaked by the heaviest dewfall we have yet encountered. Was planning on observing 'til at least 12.30am, but pointles trying to continue in those conditions. So by 10.30pm two cheesed off stargazers were all packed up and heading home. On a brighter note we did manage to see the double cluster, m52, m31, m32, m110, m27 plus a couple of meteors before the dew struck so not a complete write off. :smiley:

Sounds like the windy conditions may have been quite beneficial for me then. I had the Mak out getting on for four hours and there was no sign of dew on the main scope or the finder when I gave up for the night.

James

I dont mind a bit of wind when it's damp as it helps to stave off the dew (I think).

I believe you are right . The wind gradually eased over the first hour of the session, then dropped more or less completely. That's when the dew started forming. After an half hour or so it got too much to carry on.... dew stops play so to speak!

I too finally made it out last night - first clear cumbrian night in ages that I wasnt working - but the dew was a killer also - no wind following some serious afternoon rain. Finderscope was useless after about 1/2 hour and the secondary went shortly afterwards. Guessing we all saw the same meteorites - one out east just after 23:00 left a spectacular tail. Only my second time out with the new dob - was lost for words with the ring nebula - but thats another story not for this topic :grin: !

Finderscope was useless after about 1/2 hour and the secondary went shortly afterwards. G

Same thing with us.

We plan on making our first trip to a really dark site before long. Certainly don't want dew problems many miles from home, so

will make a dew shield for OTA and take a hair drier and a power pack. At least last night's episode taught us a lesson.

I've rarely had dew problems with my dob but then it tends to be on hardstanding. Are peoples' dew problems coming from the mirrors or eyepieces? I've had far more occasions of EPs misting up...

Keeping the eyepiece in a pocket to keep it warmer can help. Obviously it's a good plan to ensure that the pocket of choice is free of fluff, half-eaten toffees and adjustable spanners before inserting the eyepiece. That or put the eyepiece inside a plastic bag inside the pocket.

James

I've rarely had dew problems with my dob but then it tends to be on hardstanding. Are peoples' dew problems coming from the mirrors or eyepieces? I've had far more occasions of EPs misting up...

Were were on a grassy patch with lots of adjacent bracken - bit of a dew magnet I guess. Eyepieces are stored in foam lined case with closed lid, no problem there. The eyepiece in focusser was also ok - maybe our body heat when viewing stopped dew forming. Different story with finder and flat though - duw duw and more blinking dew as us welsh folk say. :grin:

Keeping the eyepiece in a pocket to keep it warmer can help. Obviously it's a good plan to ensure that the pocket of choice is free of fluff, half-eaten toffees and adjustable spanners before inserting the eyepiece. That or put the eyepiece inside a plastic bag inside the pocket.

James

:smiley:

I tend to keep my main EPs in my jacket pocket, but of course at this time of year I don't tend to wear a jacket. The last few nights I've barely needed anything more than a long sleeved T-shirt. So that means my trouser pockets get overloaded with red light, normal torch, pencil, glasses (because they'll drop off the top of my head and I'll tread on them otherwise....), EP caps, and anything else that I don't want to lose in the dark. Maybe I should put some chewed toffee in there as well to hold everything together! :laugh:

Yes, I found all the assorted observing paraphernalia became a bit too much when it's t-shirt and shorts observing weather. In the end I gave up trying and now have a small table next to the mount for most things other than eyepieces. It's still not ideal, but short of moving in to an observatory it's the best I can do right now.

James

Archived