Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 1396 containing the Elephant's Trunk in Widefield NB Hubble Palette

Gina

The widefield rig consisted of :-

1. Hannimar 135mm lens at f2.8 with Astrodon 5nm Ha filter and Atik 460EX mono camera
  2. Asahi SMC Takumar 105mm at f4 with 3nm OIII filter and 314L+
  3. Asahi Super Takumar 105mm lens at f4 with 5nm SII filter and 314L+

And subs of :-

1. Ha - 25 x 20m + 25 darks + 39 flats
  2. OIII - 7 x 60m + 17 darks + 62 flats
  3. SII - 7 x 60m + 15 darks + 52 flats

Stacked in DSS, aligned with RegiStar then combined and further processed with Ps to give the Hubble Palette. Here are two images - one in straight Hubble pallete and the second with the green removed with HLVG (for those who hate green).

post-13131-0-78343500-1378753744_thumb.p post-13131-0-21325000-1378753907_thumb.p

Thanks chaps :) Yes, I thought the first looked sharper. May be because it contains more data in the form of the green content.

And yes, this is certainly a faint nebula. This image has 6-7 hours in each colour. Nearly 21 hours in total. And that's at around f4.

Nice job Gina. I much prefer the non green version

Imaging with camera lenses is great it's rekindled my love in the hobby as it had waned a little recently

Thank you :) I know some people prefer images without any green.

Glad your interest has come back - yes, I like lenses very much too :)

Thank you Jesper :) Yes, the processing was certainly interesting with quite a variety of techniques. I still need more experience with sorting out the stars in these long exposures but I'm making progress, I believe :D I wonder what can be done with 2 hour exposures :rolleyes:

Wow Gina you are impressive :shocked: that is a great image and seeing the whole thing like this make me realize just how big this it is, I managed to get the trunk with my canon 350d which I was very pleased with I think it might even inspire me to try a mosaic of this area with my canon as well. Getting my Astro Eq unit soon and this will allow me to make use of eqmods mosaic plug in so should be fun to try and do it. Have decided to build my garden shed into a make shift observatory as well cant hack the cold nights any more.

Thank you very much Mark :) The frame FOV is about 9 x 7 degrees - yes, it's BIG! Pretty dim too. Have a go at a mosaic - should be interesting :)

Having a covered scope that you can leave set up and protection from the weather for yourself makes a huge difference :) Highly recommended if you can manage it.

Archived