Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

£100 binos

faulksy

Abba's last song, 'The Day Before You came' sums things up here for me. I'm sure my life was in it's usual frame the day before my Apollo 15x70's were delivered. I was 'happy as Larry' with my £30 Meade's and didn't realise I was blue. All binoculars will let you see more than using your naked eyes and are therefore useful. I'd advise however resisting the urge to buy cheap and use the time while the store shelves are restocked to save up the necessary pennies. Oh, and also use the time to go listen to the song on You Tube-one lady on Radio Nottingham said if this had not been a song it would have been poetry. Yes I have had a cider. Cheers, Steve

ill keep an eye on this thread, im looking at a pair of bins under aton also. I was almost sold on the celestron 15x70 skymasters . one thing I ask ( sorry if im pinching the thread here) but some mention 42mm aperture bins ? I was lead to believe up until now that 50mm would be minimum for astro work ?

one thing I ask ( sorry if im pinching the thread here) but some mention 42mm aperture bins ? I was lead to believe up until now that 50mm would be minimum for astro work ?
50mm is certainly better than 42mm, all else being equal - but all else is usually not equal. For example, many of the budget binoculars touted as 50mm are actually only about 41-43mm; they are stopped down internally. So, they give you all the extra weight of a 10x50 with none of the benefits. There's more: Lots of it! :laugh:

Also, search out some of Olly Penrice's threads on his 8x42 Trinovids -- he sees more with them than with much bigger stuff - quality is under-estimated!

What do people think about any deals of £100 or under on any 15x70 binoculars? I noticed not long after I joined the Forum that Strathspey have their 15x70's at about £85 plus P&P, for example.

This is tempting me as over the last few months, starting with Comet Pons-Starr, I have got a few observations in, the first time in a LONG while! My trusty Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50W, bought MANY years ago (from Argos of all places), I have just supplemented with a new binocular clip for my photo tripod. I am currently saving up for a trigger grip head to add to the Manfrotte monopod recommended on 'The Binocular Sky' website by Stephen Tonkin. I'm just not sure what to do next to supplement the Jenoptems. Yes, I know they have a edge of field problem, but they have served me well for years.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

50mm is certainly better than 42mm, all else being equal - but all else is usually not equal. For example, many of the budget binoculars touted as 50mm are actually only about 41-43mm; they are stopped down internally. So, they give you all the extra weight of a 10x50 with none of the benefits. There's more: Lots of it! :laugh:

Also, search out some of Olly Penrice's threads on his 8x42 Trinovids -- he sees more with them than with much bigger stuff - quality is under-estimated!

i think u are right . i have seen people saying 10x50 binos reveal this , reveal that blah blah , but with my budget 10x50 ( celestron upclose ) i could not see those stuffs . i could not discern jupiter's moons , at the best of condition only 1 moon at best . probably reason is , they are budget binos . now recently i bought 15x70 celestron skymaster . that is not expensive either . that means ,they might be stopped down internally . what would u tell me about this ?

Archived