NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Taking dob by car on ferry

Any tips for this, experiences to share and best way to pack a small DOB for holiday ?

Scope is in my sig. My main concern is that on slightly rough seas and car decks you tend to get quite a bit of vibration, especially when docking there can be quite a bit of resonance too. Since the heritage has the secondary suspended on a single strut, as opposed to a spider ( It is not too rigidly attached ) I am tempted to remove it completely and pack it away. That begs the question how to best protect that part and the secondary mirror, I suppose I need to wrap it in something. Any tips welcome :)

Many thanks.

You could use a padded sports bag for the tube, should be fine. If you put the bag on a car seat, that would give extra protection against vibration or jolts. Make sure the bag cannot fly off the seat under braking, perhaps use the seat belts for that.

Personally, I'd leave the secondary in situ, should be ok, and not much can happen to it inside the tube, rather than stored separately.

Have a great holiday, Ed.

I can't see it being any worse that driving down any side road in the UK to be honest.

The suspension of the car will absorb a fair bit

What concerns me slightly, the ferry can have fairly constant frequency vibrations at times ( caused by the engines ), a bumpy road does not . As long as we drive not too roughly, after all the missus at the wheel she likes the car :), but on the boat, if any part in the scope so decides to resonate with the vibrations of the ferry it can really do the job I think. It is a bit like the principle where a thousand people walk over a suspension Bridge, and the bridge gets closed for that reason ( as happens during the baloon festival here in Bristol to avoid that ) . Resonance can be one of the the most effective ways to loosen parts on something. I am pretty sure probably all will be fine and I'll just leave it in a blanket in a bag, something soft, that wil soak it up well enough I suppose, but that part comes off easily on that scope, and it is easy to put back on. It is not too tight at the moment, I can undo it by hand basically without using too much force, but I don't like to tighten it too much, though I could tighten it some more.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that when I bought the scope that part got moved on delivery also and I had to tighten it up, the secondary was basically pointing 45 degrees the wrong way on the strut. I'd say I was lucky because it was not that far away from falling off when I unpacked it. I would hate for it to happen to get other side during hols, find the secondary has dropped off and something breaks. Probably I am worrying over nothing, but I rather be too careful, not the other way round.

The lazier part in me just wants follow the suggestions above. I like the easy options in life when it comes to holidays, I don't like packing and all that stuff anyway :D

The secondary on my Heritage was also pointing about 45 degrees off when mine arrived in Ireland. I'm thinking that this is done on purpose for delivery. It was still tight enough as to not drop down the tube onto the primary.

I didn't know that, I wonder if any others can comment on that that got that scope if they also had that. I never heard it mentioned because it means having to collimate the secondary which for a starter scope, seems odd sky-watcher would do that, no colimation tool comes with it, not even a cap and nothign in the instructions what you have to do in that case.

Anyway I got a solution. I'l do the above I can blame stargazers lounge if it goes wrong, tell the missus, she'll feel sorry for me. Intsead I'll have to buy a 10 inch on my return to replace it. Time to undo some more of those screws. Yay I got a plan, though it would mean missing my potentially dark skies during holidays. It mostly rains in south west Ireland anyway. I got some bins so I'll see something. I am bad man :grin:

Remember that your scope came all the way from China and was probably man-handled into and out of the shipping container so I wouldn't have thought with reasonable care in stowing in your car was going to cause too much trouble. Our scopes are a lot tougher than they look.

If you're that worried I'd be tempted to take the tube of the mount, wrap in some bubble wrap or a jumper, pop it in a backpack and keep it with me for the duration of the crossing. Looking at mine right now I reckon it'd squeeze into a 20l day sack without too much trouble.

If you're that worried I'd be tempted to take the tube of the mount, wrap in some bubble wrap or a jumper, pop it in a backpack and keep it with me for the duration of the crossing. Looking at mine right now I reckon it'd squeeze into a 20l day sack without too much trouble.

I am not worried about the scope, that'll go and sit in the car somewhere with mount. I'll just remove the seondary and strut, can be removed as one bit easily. If it was an ordinary dob spider system how the secondary is mounted I would not be worried either. Collimation can be done on arrival easily enough. It is just this scope the secondary it rather precariously attached via a single strut, hence my concern and the only bit I am worried about that may come undone.

Anything good to protect a secondary with, something I can wrap it in that anyone woud recommend ?

I didn't know that, I wonder if any others can comment on that that got that scope if they also had that. I never heard it mentioned because it means having to collimate the secondary which for a starter scope, seems odd sky-watcher would do that, no colimation tool comes with it, not even a cap and nothign in the instructions what you have to do in that case.

Anyway I got a solution. I'l do the above I can blame stargazers lounge if it goes wrong, tell the missus, she'll feel sorry for me. Intsead I'll have to buy a 10 inch on my return to replace it. Time to undo some more of those screws. Yay I got a plan, though it would mean missing my potentially dark skies during holidays. It mostly rains in south west Ireland anyway. I got some bins so I'll see something. I am bad man :grin:

You are bringing the scope on the ferry to south-west Ireland?. Are you going to County Kerry by any chance?. Nice dark skies.............when its not cloudy.

Honestly, i'd leave the scope at home and just bring some bins. I dont think you will get to use the scope much, and bins are easier to transport. Ive been to the area and brought my Heritage and bins. The scope never left the car, while the bins were used every chance (in between clouds and rain).

Enjoy your holiday here in Ireland. Bring a camera also because the south-west of Ireland is really really one of the most stunning places i have visited, and i live in Ireland and have travelled a fair bit around Europe and north Africa.

You are bringing the scope on the ferry to south-west Ireland?. Are you going to County Kerry by any chance?. Nice dark skies.............when its not cloudy.

Honestly, i'd leave the scope at home and just bring some bins. I dont think you will get to use the scope much, and bins are easier to transport. Ive been to the area and brought my Heritage and bins. The scope never left the car, while the bins were used every chance (in between clouds and rain).

Enjoy your holiday here in Ireland. Bring a camera also because the south-west of Ireland is really really one of the most stunning places i have visited, and i live in Ireland and have travelled a fair bit around Europe and north Africa.

I'll be visiting Kerry, it is not new to me, lived there for 10 years. My parents have a house there, I'll be in Wicklow as well for a few days where my brother has a house so I will be spending time in the most scenic parts :) The scope is definitely coming with me. Knowing the quality of the skies around there, it will be worth it every bit, it is one of the things I am looking forward to. First time to experience a truly dark sky wwith a scope, a small drive away in the middle of nowhere, not a lamp post to be seen, not even a house to be seen on the ballaghisheen pass, a bit of altitude as well. If skies are clear it should be the business. If it rains there is always the pub and a pint of decent guinness :D

It survives trips in my backpack, bike hanger, and I personally would be worried more about the sea water / air.

;-)

After reading about that I had to cancel my plans to use it at the dark beach sites here...

I am gonna leave it one piece probably anyway, I'll suck it and see, probably worrying overly about the secondary mirror strut issue, if it comes undone it comes undone, as long as it does not fall off completely and falls on top of the primary, I had a thought make sure the OTA sits upside down, if it does fall it will fall away from the primary and probably survive and fall onto the cap. The air, I will not be observing on a beach, but yes the air can be a bit salty there, though not overly concerned for the one or two nights I'll be using it there a few miles away from the sea.

I wouldn't worry your scopes has been on a boat all the way from china. It got here in one piece with less than delicate handling by warehouse people. It'll be fine.

You are going to be a lot more careful than others when you transport it. It's a lot more likely the mirror got shook loose through clumsy handling by warehouse staff or a delivery driver, than vibration from a boat engine.

I've taken my 127 Mak on the ferry to France a couple of times with no ill effects. This year I took the Mak, my modded PST, the HEQ5 and a case of eyepieces and cameras :)

Were I really paranoid then I'd lay a newt down on its side so that if anything should happen to the secondary it wouldn't end up dropping onto the primary, but I really don't think you'll have a problem, especially if you take a few tools to make any necessary adjustments when you get there.

James

Thanks for all the comments. I look forward to the holiday, not going till the 13th of Sept. Hopefully I get some clear skies. In Ireland it is always a gamble, but I know what the skies can be like there having seen them before, amazing. No doubt should I get a good night I'll have report to write on my return. I guess buying a UHC will be tempting too this month. Should the weather be on my side I am expecting some spectacular views.

Wish I had one of those SQM meters, but for sure I'll be looking through a peep hole to see what the faintest star is I can see :). There will be some moon as well around that time, but not all of the time. So hopefully I'll be on a good galaxy hunt and some nebulae, probably will visit everything that is in my sight that I know. I hope it will not ruin coming back to Bristol looking at Murky skies ever again.

@Luke who knows, mail me your addy if you like. If it is that close, may be fun to meet some fellow gazers, can't really say though what the exact plans are as my Wicklow stay will be very short, most of the time I'll be in the south west.

Archived