Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stepper controller

libraryman

Hi, i need a controller for my Moonlite Hi res stepper motor to control focus from my laptop, is it practical to make one or better to buy one.

I have heard of diy controllers but i do not know how to make one or if they are too complicated to make.

Has anyone made one who could advise me?

Ray

I've made several electronic focusers for scopes and lenses. You need some experience/ability at practical mechanics to make brackets etc. and the ability to use a soldering iron although you could do it with a bread board and jumper wires. The control is with an Arduino microprocessor which connects to your computer by USB. Stepper motors and driver boards are available from ebay either from UK sources or if you're prepared to wait 2-3 weeks from HongKong very cheaply.

I suspect that if you have to ask, it may well be easier to buy one :D Not that it would stop me trying, you understand :)

GIna (and others on SGL) have far more knowledge than I do about such things, but you may well need to know the spec for the motors used in the focuser to be able to control it properly and the design may differ depending on the spec. That's about the sum total of my understanding on the matter. Beyond that I'm out of my depth.

James

Hi Ray,

Have a look on the sgl_observatory_automation Yahoo Forum

They have a project to build a Motor focuser & controller. Download the Ascom Motor Focuser Control Getting Started Guide

and see what you think.

cheers

Steve

Thank you all for the replies.

i'm not completely averse to building anything DIY, having completed several projects that work well, however my knowledge of controllers and the requirements of them is pretty poor, i can solder quiet well, it's just the logics of how they work and the components they use thats unclear.

I appreciate the links and i'll give it awiz.

Ray

[table][/table]

Archived