Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking advice on which BST Explorers to buy

Hey Guys,

I bought my Skywatcher Explorer 150P (750mm F/5) back in February and have been able to have a good couple of nights with it using the stock Super MA 25mm and 10mm eyepieces. The 25mm EP seems ok for the wide field views but I'm looking to expand my eyepiece collection a bit to improve the mid and small field views.

I've heard only good things about the BST Explorer range and I was thinking I could get the 8mm EP for the high magnification views or would I be able to get away with the 5mm? I fear that the 5mm may be too much for the scope to handle as it would give 150x (300x with Barlow) whereas the 8mm would deliver 94x (188x with barlow) which seems more manageable.

For the mid-range it leaves the 18, 15 and 12mm EPs to choose from. I'm unsure which of these I should go for. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Also was I right in assuming the Super MA 25 is ok? Or should I get the 25mm BST too? I'll probably also pick up a 0.9 moon filter :)

Kind Regards,

Matt

Hi matt. The 5mm should be fine (not sure about the barlow though). Personally I always prefer to use a higher power EP without a barlow... but that's just personal choice. As for the 25mm MA, the simplest this to ask is do you think it's ok? Your eyes are the best judge of any EP, so if you're happy with it why bother replacing it just yet. It may be that after trying the BSTs you much prefer the view... in which case by all means replace the 25mm, but at least then you'll know instead of spending an extra £49. The standard MAs shipped with skywatcher scopes get a pretty hard time.... an unfair hard time. They're not the best EPS but for starting out they are more than adequate, I think people forget they're not TVs or ESs. as for the in between EP, I'd be tempted to go with the 15mm or 12mm giving 50x and 62.5x respectively. This should fit nicely in your current EP range. Andy.

The 8mm BST (starguider) was my most used high power EP when I had them, the 5mm didnt get a lot of use due to conditions but on the odd occasion it gave cracking views of Jupiter and Saturn a couple of years ago - this was in a 250mm f4.7 scope mind you so I don't think you would have any problems using the 5mm.

The 25mm BST will give a slightly wider view than the supplied MA. - this could be Barlowed to give you 12.5mm, meaning you could probably leave that EP out, although I had it as I prefer not using a Barlow.

Either the 15mm or 18mm would make decent mid range additions as they both worked well.

You don't hear many bad reviews of this range on this forum mind you :)

I've got the 5, 8 & 15mm on a 200p and I like them all. The 5 doesn't get too many outings but nice to have when conditions allow.

Have a look in the Eyepieces section at the Maxvision threads. Well worth considering for the middle to low mag end.

Lee

Really the 8mm and the 5mm should be good in your scope, 5mm should not be too much. 25mm again should be good for wider viewing.

Getting the 8mm first would be "safer" in a way but I cannot think of a reason why the 5mm should present any problems.

If you were going to barlow an eyepiece then the 8mm as with a barlow this would be 4mm and should be OK - it would depend on the barlow which if it is the one with the scope could be the weak point.

I would not barlow the 5mm and expect great results, however if you had the 5mm and a barlow then nothing to lose and you get an answer.

Better point out I have one and a half sets of BST's, also 2 scopes are f/5 and not a problem.

The half set is for public events and consists of 5mm, 8mm and 25mm - very similar to what I think you will be likely to end up with.

What is a 0.9 moon filter?

Reads as if it transmits 0.9 of the incident light OR blocks 0.9 of the incident light - 1.0 being the all the light.

A 90% transmission seems too much light through and a 90% block seems too much light blocked.

Don't forget the view through the eyepiece is only as good

as the Barlow you use, the 5mm Starguider is very good viewing

the Moon and planets, I use a Moon filter with mine, but my eyes

are not to good, the glare tends to make it uncomfortable if I am

observing for long spells, so it depends on your personal needs.

I have three BSTs and find them very good, but I still use the stock

25mm, I might upgrade it later with a BST.

Hi, I think the 8mm BST StarGuider is the 'safe' bet to start off with, use it with the twist-up eyecup fully extended, and then see where you go from there, get to use it and like it first, I think you will then go for the 12mm and upwards.

Thanks very much for all your replies! From what you guys have been saying I'll go with the 15mm and the 8mm to see how it fares as it will be a safer bet than the 5mm. That would mean I then have 25 (Super MA), 15, 10 (Super MA) and 8.

Andy - Yeah so far I have been happy with the 25mm Super MA although I've not had anything to compare it with :D I'll stick with it for now.

ronin - Yeah the Barlow I have is the one that came with the scope, so I'll probably look to upgrade it at some point as well. The 0.9 moon filter is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-Moon-Filter-Grey-13-transmission-ND96-0-9-/380638927196?pt=UK_Telescope_Filters&hash=item589fd9195c that one. It lets 13% of the light through which I heard works for 6"-8" scopes (I have 6"). I'm not sure where the 0.9 comes from, the 0.6 version lets 25% light through, perhaps it would be better?

Some of you are mentioning eye pieces with the twist cup. Is that the starguider range rather than the explorer? I was thinking of sticking to the explorer range as I feel like having the twist ability may make the EP not as good as the equivalent without the twist cup.

Kind Regards,

Matt

I find the 18mm BST works better in my 200p than the 8mm, but both a big improvement over the stock eyepieces, particularly in terms of field of view. Got some fantastic views of open clusters the other night through the 18mm.

I still use the stock

25mm, I might upgrade it later with a BST.

The one thing I noticed when I did that since the stock 25mm isn't bad. I found contrast improved noticeably. I never did a back to back comparison even since, but the difference was immediately apparent the night I got it. In terms of sharpness the stock eyepiece was fine in my scope, I did not notice a great deal of difference ( If I remember rightly ).

I love the 25mm BST since in my scope it gives me 2.3 degrees and lovely wide views, which are nice on some targets. It is the few occasions I say to myself, who needs extra scope focal length, unless you want to invest in big expensive wide eyepieces and a bigger scopes. For a scope such as mine I'd say the 25mm BST is marriage made in heaven, I use it a lot. :smiley:

Some of you are mentioning eye pieces with the twist cup. Is that the starguider range rather than the explorer? I was thinking of sticking to the explorer range as I feel like having the twist ability may make the EP not as good as the equivalent without the twist cup.

Kind Regards,

Matt

The Starguiders and Explorers are the same eyepieces, just different wording on the markings. They have a twist up eye cup to help with positioning your eye, but of course you don't have to use this if it doesn't suit you. Excellent value EPs though, I'm sure you won't regret buying them.

Gareth

Thanks for the clarification Gareth, I was wondering what the differences were!

AlexB - I was thinking the contrast might improve so I may end up replacing the 25mm EP with the BST at some point then. I'll give the 15mm and 8mm ones a try out first and see how they fare. I can see myself having the full range of BSTs at some point in the future the way things are going :D.

Matt

I'd like the 5mm possibly for planets, though the 6mm sky-watcher that I have is not bad , so not really that important for now. I've been tempted by the 12mm too. Even though it Is close to the 15mm in terms of FOV, still I imagine I would use it a lot. Overall For DSO work, in my scope, for the eyepieces in that BST starguider range the 8,12,15 would be used most, and the 25m for scanning bitts of sky, and useful for some particular targets and lovely for wide angle views. Not decided which one I'll get next. I may be even tempted by a UHC filter before that. once got, that's it enough eyewear for me for that scope though, I doubt I'll get the 18mm. Bigger scope ( more aperture) in the future, higher priority for me after that to save for. :smiley:

Archived