Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Splitting a FITS file into RGB channels.

Hi, I found a really good tutorial on YouTube the other night on processing astro pictures.

The process starts off in DSS saving the resulting stack as a 16 bit FITS file. This is then split into its RGB channels in Nebulosity. Finally the RGB channels are re-combined in Photoshop along with level and curve manipulation.

The thing is I can't really afford the $80 right now to buy Nebulosity. So does anyone know of a free programme that can split a FITS file into its separate RGB channels and save them as separate files?

Thanks.

Gimp will play nicely with FITS files (from 2.8 onwards). Just load the FITS File into Gimp, Select the Naxis = 3 Option and press Open and it will load a RGB image. Once it is in GIMP, Select Colors => Components => Decompose. Select the Decompose to Layers Checkbox and press OK. You should now have a greyscale image with three layers in it. Using the layers window(Windows=>Dockable Dialogs=>Layers), just delete the ones you don't want and save the result.

Best of all GIMP is free

Hope this helps

John

Its easier that it sounds from what i wrote above - Honest :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I found a really good tutorial on YouTube the other night on processing astro pictures.

The process starts off in DSS saving the resulting stack as a 16 bit FITS file. This is then split into its RGB channels in Nebulosity. Finally the RGB channels are re-combined in Photoshop along with level and curve manipulation.

The thing is I can't really afford the $80 right now to buy Nebulosity. So does anyone know of a free programme that can split a FITS file into its separate RGB channels and save them as separate files?

Thanks.

Follow Steve's advice and use Fits Liberator ( free ) to do the job, anything free from  NASA can't be bad.

A.G

• 6 months later...

FITS Liberator is free and will do what you want. It will load a colour FITS file as three separate 'Planes' and allow you to save them individually.

Just to clarify, plane 1 = red! plane 2 = green! and plane 3 = blue? I thought the DSS FITS file was used to create luminance layer.

So how do I go about creating a luminance layer from DSS?

Archived