Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mark at Beaufort

Transit of Mercury   19/04/16

Transit of Mercury - 9th May 2016 Get prepared, check filters and read the SGL announcement thread for more info.
athornett

Making your own dew shield

14 posts in this topic

Made mine from a camping mat and double sided velcro..A$4

James, Thanks for the link to http://stargazerslou...den-dew-shield/

I like it too! I wonder what the weight is, being made out of veneered ply? Certainly for my dobs, weight is very important - every kg at top has to be counter-balanced with 4 or 5kg at bottom (due to differences in distance from fulcrum) - I have a large collection of various magnetic weights!! Actually on that point, I have found the magnetic strips you buy from Wilkos to put tools on wall in garage make great magnetic weights - sold in packs of three of different sizes - just like the scales in the kitchen can choose combinations to balance most things. Only problem is I now need 2 packs, what with Telrad, 2 inch Explore Scientific eyepeices (weigh a ton) and dew shield on top!

Andy

Hi Baggy (or Wrinkle?)

I think you are probably right! Keep it simple, light and cheap.

Andy

I'm finding similar problems with my own dob as I've moved to the more expensive end of the market with eyepieces. I am going to have to start thinking about counterweights soon.

James

I am already up to 10kg+ counter weights some times on my Dob!

Andy

A pic of my one on the 6SE.

I found my ED80 hardly ever dewed up, but that could well change when I am back in the UK.

Dew Shield

Everyone knows you should use a yoga mat not a camping mat. Helps you be more at one with the universe.

Seriously though, they sell foam mats in black if you're buying from new. They're still a bit on the shiny side generally though and have had reflection problems with them in the past so probably worth getting some flocking material at the same time.

1 person likes this

...."yoga mat, not a camping mat"..... oh how we laughed on the way to Casualty!!!.... One wonders if your observatory is set up per Feng Shui principles! :icon_biggrin:

I've made one using a camping mat for my 250P last week, I also did the same for my 200P & stuck some velcro on both.

1184828_10151659658653434_1743608760_n.jpg

1185460_10151671454238434_1216968180_n.jpg

1175035_10151678583498434_582038949_n.jpg

Very good - do you use Velcro?

Andy

I used velcro tabs (3M) that are used for picture hanging.

Hangers 1

Mmmn time to destroy an old camping mat.....