NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion 80ED on Ebay

This is definitely worth a heads up. Anyone who fancies an Apo, yes the 80ED is a full Apo, there's one on Ebay.

No reserve, £50 starting bid. It's the Orion USA version, so superior fit'n'finish compared to the Skywatcher. And a nicer colour to boot.

I know there's a lot of interest in Semi-Apo and Apo refractors, so this could be a chance for one at a good price. Personally I reckon it's about time Gaz sampled one. :clouds2:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORION-ED80-APO_W0QQitemZ7577253456QQcategoryZ3636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards

Russ

Personally I reckon it's about time Gaz sampled one. :clouds2:

Russ

I'm not in the market for a very well corrected achro, thanks Russ. :clouds2:

Joking aside, I agree the ED is probably an Apo, but the term Semi-Apo and what it means is really getting butchered at the moment!!! :clouds2:

... It's the Orion USA version, so superior fit'n'finish compared to the Skywatcher.

No question about that. I've owned plenty of Skywatchers and a couple of Orion's. The Skywatchers just don't go that extra mile to finish them off. Unpainted surfaces in the tube, and that metallic blue paint chips and scratches just by looking at it. Plus Orion's after sales service is unrivalled in the business.

Given the choice of an Orion or Skywatcher, i'll take the Orion.

Joking aside, I agree the ED is probably an Apo, but the term Semi-Apo and what it means is really getting butchered at the moment!!!

Absolutely :?

Russ

On the "Apo" thing, my understanding that apochromatic means the scope focuses the 3 colours at the same point? If a scope can't do this, but can "nearly" do it, then its not a semi-Apo its a well corrected achro.

The whole term "semi-Apo" smacks of a marketting ploy, a scope is either an Apo or it's not IMHO. :clouds2:

No question about that. I've owned plenty of Skywatchers and a couple of Orion's. The Skywatchers just don't go that extra mile to finish them off. Unpainted surfaces in the tube, and that metallic blue paint chips and scratches just by looking at it. Plus Orion's after sales service is unrivalled in the business.

Given the choice of an Orion or Skywatcher, I'll take the Orion.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there Russ.  Regardless of the badge, they are made by Synta; Santa's brand is Skywatcher; why would they allow Orion (US) to badge a superior version? 

Regarding after-sales service: I have dealt with Optical Vision (the importers of Synta products) for several years and find their service excellent.  As for Orion (US) ... who are the importers ... ? 

Steve

Archived