Ones I found useful:

1. Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography, Allan Hall

2. Making Every Photon Count, Steve Richard

3. Turn Left at the Orion, Guy Consolmagno & Dan Davis

4. Star Ware, Phllip Harrington

Good reads:

1. Deep Sky Companions: The Messier Objects, David H Levy

2. Deep Sky Companions : The Secret Deep, Stephen O'Meara

3. Deep Sky Companions : Hidden Treasure, Stephen O'Meara (I started reading this one, it's brilliant)

Books I recommend somehow related to astronomy:

1. The End of Night, Paul Bogard

2. The Starry Room: Naked Eye Astronomy in the Intimate Universe (forgot the writer's name)

Just on the top of my head...

In my view The Backyard Astronomer Guide (I think that's the correct title, I'm having a senior moment!) 3rd edition by Dickinson and Dyer is the best book I know of as a guide to the choice of equipment and observing. It's suitable for the experienced observer as well as for those starting off in the hobby. The book tells things how they are which is important, as paying a load of money is not always the best course of action. It's a bit like having someone by your side to guide you through so many of those things which can be a pain when you first start off. Dickinson and Dyer both write equipment reviews (and good ones) for magazines such as Astronomy and Sky & Telescope across the pond. There is also a website which has updates from the last date the book was published. I've never spoken to anyone who hasn't found it extremely useful. Regards, Paul

Archived