Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Artemis Capture Markers Question

kirkster501

I am trying to get my head around the markers in Artemis. I can see the reason for them but don't understand how they work and the workflow. How do you "save" the markers? Is it on one of your images? Dos they actually permanently mark the cross on the image? Or do you take a "positioning image" for the purpose of realigning later? Also, how do you get the crosses off the screen once placed? I didn't have time to bottom all this out last night since it was getting too late - my first proper outing with my CCD :) Its great!

Also, how do you align back on the same area again? How do you guys rotate the camera to get alignment with said markers? Turn the whole imaging shebang inside the focuser? That implies loosneign screws with cold hands and expensive gear risking dropping to the floor...!

Thanks, Steve

The best way to rotate is with a camera rotator. These are slowly moving down the price ranges but were once the provenance of posh scopes. Otherwise, yes, rotate the nosepiece.

BUT; in the interests of repeatability I try to orientate either in landscape or portrait aligned to RA and Dec. So much easier to add data if you do so. Only one image in twenty won't frame up this way. You can use the Atik sticker to get close by eye since it lies along the chip. Then take a 3 sec sub while slewing. The trail created will show you your angle. You could also mark the two orientations on your setup usig Tippex or a permanent marker.

Realigning without rotation is easy. Realigning with it takes five times as long.

I think Gina is the authority on those markers. I haven't tried them yet.

Olly

Sorry but I haven't actually tried Artemis markers yet :( I use AstroTortilla to save pointing direction and the slew back to in my next imaging session. I too use set camera angles. So far I have my cameras in line with the RA axis. I intend to mark my camera orientation adapters with various angles for better framing of objects that are almost too big to go in. I'm thinking of say 30 or 45 degrees.

Thanks both. Gina, not sure I understand your "aligning with RA" method. Agreed about AT, it very useful. However, I have only ever used it to refine *where I currently am*. How do you use it to say ""centre the scope on this image I took earlier" ?

Steve

I no longer use Artemis, but when I did I found the markers very easy and useful. I would select a target and take a pic in the Atemis screen. Then go to the markers button and right click I think it was and that brings up a markers menu. From there I would place markers on all bright stars and then save it with the name of the target. That way, the following night I selected the target in CdC, slewed and then set the image on loop. Loaded up the relevant markers and then lined them up from the looping screen.

Cant help with camera orientation, try to never change it!

Steve, to get AT to go back exactly to an exisiting image, just open up the Tools menu at the top, and then select "Goto image", this opens up your laptop files and you simply pull out one of the subs you took on a previous night and ask AT to capture and solve - it will plate solve the image, slew there, plate solve again to check and then do a very fine adjustment to get it bang on - easy!

Martin

If you expect to spend several nights on the same image it's worth saving the solve as a Bookmark. The next night just go to Bookmarks and select the appropriate one. AT will slew to near the target. Then take a capture of where you're pointing and open it in AT and AT will slew to the right place. Or nearly and ask for another capture to see if it's there. This process is repeated until the terget is withing the accuracy specified in the box on the right.

I have my cameras so that the long axis is parallel with the mounting plate.

post-13131-0-21712900-1376412751_thumb.j

Thanks all. I will give all this a go when next out! I was doing Mexico region on NA last night. Not had time to process it yet but a quick stretch of the subs as they were coming in was most impressive! With my ED80 with 0.85 FR and 460 I can nowhere near fit this huge target in one FOV - it would need four I think. This got me thinking abut going back to the same place to get more data. Thats for when i have more experience though!

I am still very much at the learning phase!

To add Markers to your picture just click on Marker Mode and the right click anywhere within the picture .Click on insert marker on a few stars, then right click anywhere on the screen bring up save markers and save where ever you want to save the small file.

To then use the file (another day) i bin x8 for 3 sec bursts to see all the stars . Right click anywhere in picture load your file and get the stars in rough postion to your marks then bring it down to normal bin to make minor adjustments and hey presto you should be aligned :)

Also i tend to do the rough align ,then sort out phd get that all guiding then turn it off to do the small adjustments as i have terible backlash . Then turn phd back on :)

Hope that all makes sence

Nick

To add Markers to your picture just click on Marker Mode and the right click anywhere within the picture .Click on insert marker on a few stars, then right click anywhere on the screen bring up save markers and save where ever you want to save the small file.

To then use the file (another day) i bin x8 for 3 sec bursts to see all the stars . Right click anywhere in picture load your file and get the stars in rough postion to your marks then bring it down to normal bin to make minor adjustments and hey presto you should be aligned :)

Also i tend to do the rough align ,then sort out phd get that all guiding then turn it off to do the small adjustments as i have terible backlash . Then turn phd back on :)

Hope that all makes sence

Nick

Bless you, SIr! I'll have a look when the latest guests leave. No way in the world will I change software (to the latest Artemis) in mid-run!!

Olly

Looking forward to checking this out when its clear. I have copied and pasted your text Nick.

CCD mono imaging slowly coming together now in my mind in terms of workflow. Mind you, I am keeping it simple at the moment. For instance, I am not dithering yet. Only software I am using is Artemis Capture, EQMod with CdC, AtroTortilla and PHD. I downloaded a trial of Seqence generator too but not had the clear skies to really get going with it.

I acquired some data from the NA nebula (the wall area) on Monday night so will process that tomorrow - have not had time yet.

Im in the same boat as you but a little smaller as i bought my 314+ a few weeks before you .

Im using the same software as yourself but i havnt been able to get AstroTorilla to work yet and tbh it only takes about 2 mins to line it up manually with Artemis Markers anyway !

I've recently bought Nebulosity for dithering but havnt had much play with it yet.

Bless you, SIr! I'll have a look when the latest guests leave. No way in the world will I change software (to the latest Artemis) in mid-run!!

Olly

It's nice to be able to give somthing back for once on this forum :)

Nick

Archived