Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star trails with standard 18-55 1100d lens.

Considering having a go at this tonight. Has anyone attempted one long exposure with an 1100d with the stock 18_55 lens? I'm unsure if it's fast and wide enough to be of any use for it so thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

It may be easier to take lots (and lots :) of 30 second exposures. These can then be stitched together into a single star trail image using the software available from http://www.startrails.de/

I've done this with a 450D and the kit lens. It worked ok but for the fact that the lens dewed up after a couple of hours and I didn't get the focus nailed first.

James

Yeah, the best way is to take as many shorter exposures as you can.

Try at both ends, the 18 and the 55 and you will see the difference, both lengths I would say are fine depending on if you have a foreground or not.

Startrails.de has just been updated to finally.

You could also have a go at a bit of timelapse too? I did this with the stock lens. 15sec exposures, 1 min gap.

Cheers

Jamie

Hey Jamie, out of interest how did you stitch together your timelapse? What software did you use?

Really love it btw, outstanding.

Will

StarStax is another free program that you can try for making startrails. I did this last fall with a cannon 1000D and the stock 18 -55mm lens. About and hours worth of 30sec exposures with just a 1 sec gap. I think I added some darks too.

This is something ive been wanting to have a go at for a long while.

If you can get something in the foreground, like in the above photos, like a tree etc, it can look quite pretty.

A question ive always wondered though is If you do lots of 30second exposures, will the foreground (eg. a tree) still be lit up enough for it to be recognisable as anything other than a dark shape when your at a dark site with no lights?

A question ive always wondered though is If you do lots of 30second exposures, will the foreground (eg. a tree) still be lit up enough for it to be recognisable as anything other than a dark shape when your at a dark site with no lights?

You do need a little light, but it really doesn't need to be very much at all. Unless it's absolutely pitch black "can't see your hand in front of your face" dark there may well be enough ambient light anyhow.

James

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just finished processing my photograph.

One question is, my trails seems to have alot of gaps in, but they all follow the same pattern. I had to delete 6 consescutive photos as a security light must of came on and gave me a massive lens flare in the middle of the photograph. I deleted a few one off photos which could account to a few gaps i think, mainly because of the same reason. Could this be the reason there are consistant gaps?

post-21702-0-16103900-1378325488_thumb.j

Archived