Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is this?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. It looks a lot older than that though - it could have been there for 40 plus years! It looks like some parts of the mount are made of wood and they have rotted.

Any idea what we should do with it? Would anyone want something like this, or do we take it to the tip?

To check the mirror simply look down the top of the tube and see if it reflects i suspect it prob needs re polishing and silvering but it looks too good to send to the tip. Maybe contact a local astronomy club with view to donating it?

I couldn't see any name plates - i'll probably need to get a ladder for a closer inspection! I'll post some more photos later this evening. I will also take some of the box of lenses we found in the house as I presume they must go with the telescope but I might be wrong.

I couldn't see any name plates - i'll probably need to get a ladder for a closer inspection! I'll post some more photos later this evening. I will also take some of the box of lenses we found in the house as I presume they must go with the telescope but I might be wrong.

When you say ''lenses'', do you mean eyepieces?

Something like this

250px-Eyepiece_three_types.jpg

Looks fairly typical of a home-made newtonian from 50+ years ago. The bricks give an indication that it is probably a 6" diameter and possibly around f/10+. The focusser is almost certainly either 0.965" fitting or RAS threaded. If the mirror is still there it might be useable as a blank for a new mirror. I can't see much of the rest being of any value beyond scrap. If it has any significant history then it might be a museum piece.

Nigel

Looks like someone put a lot of effort into making that. It might look rather basic by modern standards, but I bet it was quite a serious bit of kit when it was being used regularly.

James

Its a shame that nature has had her way with it. Unfortunately she has though, and it's a valid demonstration of entropy, or the Buddhist maxim that all things are impermanent (Anicca).

It undoubtedly gave pleasure to the user, but going by the picture, I reckon that its beyond economical repair.

Archived